help with pitching speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
Does anyone know why a pitcher throws the same speed (58) while not giving a whole lot of effort and then when she explodes off the mound and increases her arm whip speed she still throws 58-59? The object of the drill is to keep that same relaxed feeling of not giving too much effort and carry that into when she starts giving it her all. We are just working with some different ideas to get her speed up. I just found it interesting that she can throw 58 without any effort, but when going full force she stays at 58 or 59. All of her mechanics look good, we are working on leg drive and keeping her arm relaxed. She has a good size muscular frame and very strong legs, 5;8".
Thanks for any ideas or help.

Jan 23, 2009
Does anyone know why a pitcher throws the same speed (58) while not giving a whole lot of effort and then when she explodes off the mound and increases her arm whip speed she still throws 58-59? The object of the drill is to keep that same relaxed feeling of not giving too much effort and carry that into when she starts giving it her all. We are just working with some different ideas to get her speed up. I just found it interesting that she can throw 58 without any effort, but when going full force she stays at 58 or 59. All of her mechanics look good, we are working on leg drive and keeping her arm relaxed. She has a good size muscular frame and very strong legs, 5;8".

While it's fairly common to get a girl of moderate athletic ability to pitch, with a reasonable amount of work and dedication, at 55MPH; 60MPH is another story. To get past 60, requires alot of small details in the circle to be executed with a fair amount of precision. Some girls are genetically pre-disposed, some naturally "get" the mechanics of 60MPH pitching. Most never get it.

My DD first clocked 60MHP on a gun at age14, at age 17 she tops out at 61. What she has accomplished is the ability to throw more consistantly at the top of her velocity range (for any given pitch type) for longer periods of time.

Video breakdown usually points out areas that may be holding the girl back. If her arm speed (in FPS) is the same and the circle is the same size while giving "maximum effort", the pitch will be no faster than "relaxed effort". If her leg drive is greater but at a cost of a smaller circle or slower arm whip, she will net out to 0 increase. Breakdown and analyze the motion.

BTW... although alot of opinions on this site credit leg drive to velocity, the fastest girls I've seen on video complete the circle in the fewest frames and accelerate throughout the circle, with the greatest acceleration in the last 1/4 of the circle (till release).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
It's in the details at that point, like Mrek pointed out.

Post a video and perhaps we can help out more.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Mrek makes some good points.

What speed are you talking about? Are you talking about "one time" max? Or are you talking about "cruising speed"--how fast she throws in a game, batter after batter, inning after inning?

If she was hitting 59 as a "one time max" and with her improved form she is hitting 59 during a game, then you have a huge improvement.

First, if you would post a video of her here, we might be able to see a problem.

Second, if the mechanics are there, you (a coach or a parent) can't teach a kid to throw faster. Only she can teach herself to throw faster. What do I mean?

Pitching requires precise synchronization of the different body parts involved in pitching. You can't tell a person, "Your wrist is turning over .2 seconds too early. Fix that." She has to figure it out--and by "she" I'm referring to her entire person--her body and mind together.

Set up a speed gun with a read out where the pitcher so she can see her speed on every pitch, and challenge her to throw faster. *SHE* is going to have to figure out how to throw faster...you aren't going to be able to do it for her.

Jul 21, 2008
While it's fairly common to get a girl of moderate athletic ability to pitch, with a reasonable amount of work and dedication, at 55MPH; 60MPH is another story. To get past 60, requires alot of small details in the circle to be executed with a fair amount of precision. Some girls are genetically pre-disposed, some naturally "get" the mechanics of 60MPH pitching. Most never get it.

My DD first clocked 60MHP on a gun at age14, at age 17 she tops out at 61. What she has accomplished is the ability to throw more consistantly at the top of her velocity range (for any given pitch type) for longer periods of time.

Video breakdown usually points out areas that may be holding the girl back. If her arm speed (in FPS) is the same and the circle is the same size while giving "maximum effort", the pitch will be no faster than "relaxed effort". If her leg drive is greater but at a cost of a smaller circle or slower arm whip, she will net out to 0 increase. Breakdown and analyze the motion.

BTW... although alot of opinions on this site credit leg drive to velocity, the fastest girls I've seen on video complete the circle in the fewest frames and accelerate throughout the circle, with the greatest acceleration in the last 1/4 of the circle (till release).

MERK.....you say arm circle in 5 frames....I have 2 question about that

1) are we talking 30fps or 60fps video
2) when do you start the count of the 5 frames

stv

May 12, 2010
From what I've read that area of speed is a tough threshold to break.
The tarp drill is a good Power drill. When they throw into a Tarp of some sort from a close distance working on power and being explosive and not worrying so much about the strike zone. They also get feed back from the sound it makes when hitting the tarp.
I believe it also helps with endurance as well as increasing their average game speed.
YouTube - backswing,tarp.MOV

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
I think the frames for arm circle is misleading. It's better to take video with a marked known distance meter behind her (alternating white-black stripes every 6 inches, for instance).

The reason for this is you only care about ball speed at release. Many of the best/fastest pitchers have relativly slow arm circles that speed up incredibly at the very end.

(Uneo, 70+ mph)

25z34hl.gif

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Because in that extra effort is something that is throwing off her timing, or her arm whip. Tension in her muscles...

If you have ever golfed and when you try you can drive the ball 275 yards. so you get on a hole where at 275 there is water. So you take your driver and you try to hit it easy and you wind up hitting the ball 300 yards and right in the middle of the pond. By taking away the effort you allowed your swing to be smoother and transfer the weight better.

Instead of trying to throw as hard as possible, tell her to try to ease up a bit, you might be surprised.

Nov 17, 2010
Illegal???

The reason for this is you only care about ball speed at release. Many of the best/fastest pitchers have relativly slow arm circles that speed up incredibly at the very end.

(Uneo, 70+ mph)

25z34hl.gif

-W
Wow, Uneo made that batter look silly!

Isn't she replanting her pivot foot in this clip? Looks like a one step walkthrough to me. I suspect you could gain MPH that way... ;-)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
International pitching rules vary, to include a leap. I am not certain about a replant.

She is on some type of a mat, too. When she drags, it appears to be wet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard