Heater in the Dugout ... Yeah or Nay ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
FWIW, speaking of ASA at least, heating a bat doesn't make it "illegal", it makes it "altered". The penalty is out and an ejection for coming to the batters box with it, rather than simply being declared out.

Mar 22, 2010
That's why I like this site. I learn something new everytime I get on here. I had heard recently that it wasn't really that the bat that mattered if it was cold it was the ball because the ball then becomes harder because it's colder. But yes we just bought daughter a brand new Easton fs1 or whatever the stealth used to be and it has a place on it where I can't really tell if it's a crack or the paint is just scratched. I asked batting coach about it and he said he really couldn't tell either without looking at it with a magnifying glass. I really really hope it's not a crack. But if it were to split/ break/ whatever and I took it back and it has a warranty are they going to hassel me about giving me a new one? I kind of figure if it does break we'll end up having to shell out another $300 cause the place knows that we've been playing in some cold temps so they'd probably give me problems over it

Mar 13, 2010
Actually, temperature is relevant. ASA did change the rule for a couple of years with regard to bat warmers. However, after further testing they found that heating the bat past a certain point did have a significant effect on bat performance. I believe it was last year ASA put the rule back in place with regard to artifically heating the bat. As far as I am aware, all other associations have always been illegal to artificially heat bats.

ASA 3.7...."Warming devices for bats are not approved."

Other associations.....
NCAA...Illegal 3.3.5
USSSA....Legal if USSSA approved. 2.11 BAT WARMERS "Bat Warmers approved by USSSA are permitted."
PONY.....No reference in the 2013 rule book.

Can't speak to NFHS, Premier, NSA, ISF, or any of the other codes out there.

May 25, 2010
We had heard of another school in our county where they had a heater in the dugout when it was super cold outside (that was actually a day that our school had cancelled our game because we felt it was just too cold and calling for snow) and the girls had their bats over near the heater trying to keep them warm because they are composite bats and not meant to be used in those temps and the umps went over and made them move the bats over to the other side of the dugout away from the heater and then one of the girls $300 bats busted when she got up there to use it. I understand you don't want to cause and injury to a child by having a bat that is hot and it come off of it like a rocket but I also see where the parent that paid that much for the bat didn't want it ruined, which is what ultimately happened to it, is coming from. I'm not sure what the solution is to that.

The solution is to always use the right tool for the job. Softball can easily be played in cold weather, but certain bats should not be used. If the manufacturer says that a bat should not be used in temps below 50 degrees, don't. No one is liable for the bat owner failing to read the product manual.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Actually, temperature is relevant. ASA did change the rule for a couple of years with regard to bat warmers. However, after further testing they found that heating the bat past a certain point did have a significant effect on bat performance. I believe it was last year ASA put the rule back in place with regard to artifically heating the bat. As far as I am aware, all other associations have always been illegal to artificially heat bats.

My comments were regarding bat manufactuers warranties, not ASA rules.....

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Bat warmers are illegal but portable heaters for the players are OK... just don't get caught putting a bat in front of the heater...that will get you ejected in most tournaments.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors