What makes the perfect umpire?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
This thread makes me nervous.

If we get to the point of having perfect umpires, the masses will focus their wrath on the next likely target - the coaches. We need imperfect umpires to act as that thin(?) blue line b/w us and the bleachers. :)

Mar 10, 2020
This thread makes me nervous.

If we get to the point of having perfect umpires, the masses will focus their wrath on the next likely target - the coaches. We need imperfect umpires to act as that thin(?) blue line b/w us and the bleachers. :)
This makes my point.
Coaches by majority dont read the rule book.
The horrible inconsistencies of umpires on application of rules causes erruptions from the few coaches and parents who have read the rule books.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I was going to refrain from responding in my own post, but I need to ask: What horrible inconsistencies are you referring to, Bullseye? A few examples would help to understand.

Mar 10, 2020
Some would say it is about calling the rules as written, others want umpires to exercise judgment and discretion, especially at the younger ages or in rec ball.

Some think exceptional play should be rewarded, such as when a pitcher is hitting her spots consistently and just wants to see 2 inning take 75 minutes and be a walk-fest?

Recently in these forums, some have said umpires think they are mind readers, guessing at what a player is thinking when they throw a ball. But, aren't umpires required to rule on intent?

Umpiring is both a science and an art, the science part is the written rule, the art is the spirit and history of those same rules, why does a rule exist? How and why has it changed over the years? What were the rules committees of the various sanctioning bodies trying to accomplish? The best umpires know the answers to these questions and are able to weave that into each and every decision they make.

Criticizing umpires is part of the game. After all, they are human. They do make mistakes. Criticism is helpful to an umpire, it makes him or her look back over a game and realize where they could have been better. But, how and when do you give that criticism? One thing to remember is this, most umpires have been a player and/or coach in their lifetime. When was the last time you heard an umpire question the decision or performance of a player or a coach during a game, if at all? How many players or coaches or parents have been an umpire? When was the last time you heard a member of any of these groups criticize an umpire?

I would love to hear feelings about what you think makes a 'perfect' umpire. Is it, “Call the rules as written, all the time every time?” Or is it, “ Have a feeling for the game and exercise discretion, we trust you enough to do that?”

Put some thought into it, but remember, you can't have it both ways.
To be more specific after re-reading your post it appears you do recognise how and why umpires are inconsistent.
As you have described is it science art both what is it.
Its not an open canvas where the umpire determines how when why to apply the rules.
Just call the rule book and
leave the creative artistry out of it.

Mar 10, 2020
I was going to refrain from responding in my own post, but I need to ask: What horrible inconsistencies are you referring to, Bullseye? A few examples would help to understand.
Your an umpire right?
Do you support every call other umpires make in games you watch?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Do you support every call other umpires make in games you watch?

Do I support it? As long as the rule was not misapplied, yes. Do I agree with it? Not necessarily, my judgment may have been different than the other umpire's. Different angle, different distance.

It sounds like you are referring to umpires misapplying rules wholesale. I am just wondering if you could give a few examples.

Mar 10, 2020
Do I support it? As long as the rule was not misapplied, yes. Do I agree with it? Not necessarily, my judgment may have been different than the other umpire's. Different angle, different distance.

It sounds like you are referring to umpires misapplying rules wholesale. I am just wondering if you could give a few examples.
Examples dont matter.
Your answer hit the spot.

Dec 11, 2010
Pattar kind of nailed it in the first reply.

I like to see unshakeable professionalism.

That means not responding in any way to the fans and coaches baiting you into a reaction. Ignore 99% of what happens outside the white lines. It doesn’t matter.

Above- don’t let coaches bait you into their games. If you are going to tell them to knock it off, do it in a way that no one else can hear, face to face from a few feet away. When you do it by yelling from the field to the dugout, you are PLAYING THEIR GAME and there is an audience. He HAS to save face by keeping up with you. How can experienced umpires not understand this? Be patient. Fix it quietly when the time is right. Do it when you can speak quietly with lots of eye contact when there isn’t an audience for him/her to perform to.

I‘m not a fan of umpires chumming up to players. At all. They are busy. They are there to play, not make a new friend out of an adult. They are a captive audience. They laugh at your jokes because they have to. Related: don’t ever call a player “sweetheart“ or whatever men addressed women/girls in a 50’s movie. Do it to a female coach only if you want her to know you are a ignorant chauvinist pig.

Next: some coaches are jerks. That doesn’t mean the players are. Don‘t make a kid pay by shrinking the zone because you aren’t a big enough person to realize it isn’t the 12 year old players fault that her coach is an insecure twerp.

Quit acting like everything is an affront to your authority. If a coach comes out and wants to know why you made a call the way you did, you better be able to say why. When he comes out, don’t wave him away, he is still going to say what he wants to say. Go TO him or call him over so you can talk face to face with eye contact in a voice that can’t be heard behind the backstop or in center field. You want to be close enough that you and coach can talk without yelling. He might just want to appear he is sticking up for his players. He might just want to feel like he is “being heard.” He may not know the rule. This is your chance to educate the coach and explain why you did it. To some extent, in 2021, yes you DO have to explain yourself no matter how right you are. If you do this right, you will have to do this a lot less. If you screw it up, it will be once per inning.

Former. Player. Umpires....... We love you. We really do. But you gotta quit acting like you know everything and the rest of us are dopes just because you played college softball. Yes, you probably know more about the game than us poor old dads who are doing this for free because no one else was willing to do it. What nobody needs is you proving it every damn pitch. You have spent more time on a field than any of us. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE. Quit acting like you do! Act like you have been here before, because you have! Yes we know that coach reminds you of your 12u coach but quit making a spectacle of yourself!

The best umpires blend in. You don’t notice them. They aren’t trying to be noticed. People are usually there to see their kids. They aren’t there to see you and if you are being entertaining in any way, you are screwing up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00