The Different Types of Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I thought that some of you might enjoy this. Of course, some of you won't and that's fine. I was searching through my computer for some of my catching stuff to share with an area coach and opened some files I have not opened in years. I came across a file on a presentation I gave on coaching to all of the coaches of all of the high school sports in my county. (Long story but I was honored to be chosen to give this presentation.) I had several facets to this presentation and it was approximately 2 hours long. I provided material on all kinds of things but this was a part of a presentation that I gave. Here are the "types of coaches" that I have noticed as I have coached and this list was prepared from reading thoughts from other coaches. This presentation was given in 2006.

Please note that this handout is not intended to offend anyone. Rather, this is one person’s observation.

The Ignorant Coach – I was once this. I had great intentions. I wanted to do my best for the kids. I didn’t have a clue.

The "We're no good coach so why bother." So, why are you a coach? If coaching were a profession where everyone was already good, they wouldn’t need you.

The "Clock Coach." Again, why bother. Success isn’t measured on some clock face. You just might have to be late for supper once in a while if you intend to advance your player’s skills.

The "100% Enabler Coach" is a coach I can’t stand. You’re the coach. No, they don’t vote. You decide who plays! You be the adult and discipline the kids. If there is a decision to be made, MAKE IT!

The "That's all that has worked in the past, that's all that will work Coach" Believe it or not, I understand this coach but don’t agree with it. You have a system that works? Fine, but still be a student of the game and learn the latest improvements on equipment, strategies, and drills.

The "Supervisor Coach" is Another type of coach I can’t stand. These coaches warm chairs as everyone else works. They have nothing invested and so, losing doesn’t matter at all.

The “Rah Rah Coach” is the well-intended coach who doesn’t know technique and so can’t suggest an improvement. They are still there for the kids and do try to make the experience fun. I give them some credit since they can make the experience enjoyable. However, they won’t make their players better!

The “Abusive Coach” These coaches aren’t coaches at all. Everything that happens in the playing arena is some statement about their self-serving image and so, when a player doesn’t measure up, they abuse that player. Abusive coaches always comment on how soft kids are today while back in their days, they’d eat nails to win.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I thought that some of you might enjoy this. Of course, some of you won't and that's fine. I was searching through my computer for some of my catching stuff to share with an area coach and opened some files I have not opened in years. I came across a file on a presentation I gave on coaching to all of the coaches of all of the high school sports in my county. (Long story but I was honored to be chosen to give this presentation.) I had several facets to this presentation and it was approximately 2 hours long. I provided material on all kinds of things but this was a part of a presentation that I gave. Here are the "types of coaches" that I have noticed as I have coached and this list was prepared from reading thoughts from other coaches. This presentation was given in 2006.

Please note that this handout is not intended to offend anyone. Rather, this is one person’s observation.

The Ignorant Coach – I was once this. I had great intentions. I wanted to do my best for the kids. I didn’t have a clue.

The "We're no good coach so why bother." So, why are you a coach? If coaching were a profession where everyone was already good, they wouldn’t need you.

The "Clock Coach." Again, why bother. Success isn’t measured on some clock face. You just might have to be late for supper once in a while if you intend to advance your player’s skills.

The "100% Enabler Coach" is a coach I can’t stand. You’re the coach. No, they don’t vote. You decide who plays! You be the adult and discipline the kids. If there is a decision to be made, MAKE IT!

The "That's all that has worked in the past, that's all that will work Coach" Believe it or not, I understand this coach but don’t agree with it. You have a system that works? Fine, but still be a student of the game and learn the latest improvements on equipment, strategies, and drills.

The "Supervisor Coach" is Another type of coach I can’t stand. These coaches warm chairs as everyone else works. They have nothing invested and so, losing doesn’t matter at all.

The “Rah Rah Coach” is the well-intended coach who doesn’t know technique and so can’t suggest an improvement. They are still there for the kids and do try to make the experience fun. I give them some credit since they can make the experience enjoyable. However, they won’t make their players better!

The “Abusive Coach” These coaches aren’t coaches at all. Everything that happens in the playing arena is some statement about their self-serving image and so, when a player doesn’t measure up, they abuse that player. Abusive coaches always comment on how soft kids are today while back in their days, they’d eat nails to win.
From 2006 and very much still relevant!

Think the first example 'the ignorant coach' maybe the hardest situation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478