What makes the perfect umpire?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
Just once at the coaches meeting at home plate, I'd love to hear the plate ump say "look guys, I'm a pitchers ump, I give a ball + off the plate, you better tell your girls to swing the bat!"
When I did Federation baseball up until about five years ago, I would let the HS or MS coaches at the meeting know I would call a wide home plate and most appreciated the widening of it. Made the game go quicker, smoother and was easier on their pitchers arms. As long as I stayed consistent, all went well.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just once at the coaches meeting at home plate, I'd love to hear the plate ump say "look guys, I'm a pitchers ump, I give a ball + off the plate, you better tell your girls to swing the bat!"

NOOOOOOOOOoooooo..... You never discuss your strike zone because when you do you have set yourself up: For example, if you are stupid enough to say something like the above...
  • You just made up a rule and everyone just heard you do that. So what other rules are you going to make up or don't apply?
  • The moment you DON'T do this, everyone is ALL over you.
  • Every close pitch was a promise you were going to call it
  • You NEVER know what the pitcher is going to do - even if you know the pitcher
... and so on. Will the coaches turn on you? Maybe... but you put yourself in a situation you could have avoided.

I am going to hold off on this thread because I have a very long officiating history in multiple sports and have a very, very clear view of what makes a good official (and have had the privilege to officiate with some outstanding officials) but I had to comment on the above.

Game management, preventive officiating, rules knowledge, correct mechanics, and appropriate professionalism are all big parts - all are important.

I'll let this thread play out and see where it goes. I already see a lot of ignorance regarding officiating and what goes into doing it well. And some correct stuff as well.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
NOOOOOOOOOoooooo..... You never discuss your strike zone because when you do you have set yourself up: For example, if you are stupid enough to say something like the above...
  • You just made up a rule and everyone just heard you do that. So what other rules are you going to make up or don't apply?
... and so on. Will the coaches turn on you? Maybe... but you put yourself in a situation you could have avoided.

I am going to hold off on this thread because I have a very long officiating history in multiple sports and have a very, very clear view of what makes a good official (and have had the privilege to officiate with some outstanding officials) but I had to comment on the above.

Game management, preventive officiating, rules knowledge, correct mechanics, and appropriate professionalism are all big parts - all are important.

I'll let this thread play out and see where it goes. I already see a lot of ignorance regarding officiating and what goes into doing it well. And some correct stuff as well.
Dang marriard, I'll be the first to admit I'd probably never make a great umpire, but you didn't have to call me ignorant! 😞

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
When I did Federation baseball up until about five years ago, I would let the HS or MS coaches at the meeting know I would call a wide home plate and most appreciated the widening of it. Made the game go quicker, smoother and was easier on their pitchers arms. As long as I stayed consistent, all went well.
You better not let @marriard read this, he'll call you a name!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Have to add one more... because I can't help myself....

"Don't make gross or blatant mistakes"

I can recover from most other things that happen. But not the big one.

Mar 28, 2014
I have seen/heard 3 umpires say this on 3 different occasions and it never caused one bit of drama/controversy. None.

It was refreshing to witness the transparency. Coaches appreciated it. Parents appreciated it. Maybe you should rethink your position. Times have changed. People appreciate transparency more today than ever.

Oct 16, 2019
You better not let @marriard read this, he'll call you a name!
I had thick skin, maybe still do, so I will be okay I hope LOL Many of these coaches were great coaches, several state championships, had players that went on to play college, and some that were drafted and played many years in Pro ball - and the one thing these coaches had in common in regards to umpires, is they wanted someone to call the plate wide and be consistent. No up and down, that would get you yelled at. With that said, I had no experience calling HS softball. That strike zone may not be as common place in WV HS softball...no idea.

Oct 16, 2019
Have to add one more... because I can't help myself....

"Don't make gross or blatant mistakes"

I can recover from most other things that happen. But not the big one.
It wasn't every meeting I did this, after you get the experience, and those coaches know you, they know what you do. I rarely had any complaints about the width of the zone, but the high/low stuff you had to be nearly perfect with the zone as per what the rule book states. I really never had much of an issue with coaches, but I saw others have many issues, and it was normally due to not hustling or just being a jerk, which some had the ability to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles