Warming up on the perfect just dragged field?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Why do some coaches think it is ok? Arrogance? Ignorance? I was at PGF 16u game today. The worker meticulously drags and re chalks the field. There is about a half hour between games. This coach has 6 or 7 players take GB at SS position and another 6 or 7 taking flyballs for 20 minutes. The rule is that after field is prepared warm ups are to take place only in foul territory and/or OF grass. Why do we have rules if we are not going to enforce them? Maybe its because my DD plays SS .LOL
I was so happy when his team got blown out by a Nor Cal FC team. Pitcher from FC team was throwing 68-69. She was very good.

Jun 26, 2019
I never thought of that as a “rule”. I wouldn’t think anyone would be such a giant dork that a rule would be needed.

May 29, 2015
The same reason that a team will be told to clear a field due to lightning, so the coach will take them to the next field over to "keep them warmed up." :rolleyes:

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Maybe it's because the only time most teams see a nicely dragged and lined field is at 7am on Saturday morning when no one is awake. Then it might get re-drug and lined for the Championship game Sunday afternoon. The rest of the tournament, they play on fields with holes and no lines. When that is what you know, then maybe you don't know any better.

May 29, 2015
Maybe it's because the only time most teams see a nicely dragged and lined field is at 7am on Saturday morning when no one is awake. Then it might get re-drug and lined for the Championship game Sunday afternoon. The rest of the tournament, they play on fields with holes and no lines. When that is what you know, then maybe you don't know any better.

I actually think there is a lot of truth in this. Travel ball has not been the best of the best in a "culture of the game" for a long time. As more and more people simply write a check, they step into a world of the unknown. They don't know the norms and expectations. It takes a while.

Then there are also just "those" coaches who, even after they learn the culture they still think the world revolves around them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478