What makes the perfect umpire?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have seen/heard 3 umpires say this on 3 different occasions and it never caused one bit of drama/controversy. None.

It was refreshing to witness the transparency. Coaches appreciated it. Parents appreciated it. Maybe you should rethink your position. Times have changed. People appreciate transparency more today than ever.

You actually make my point for me on why you don't do these sorts of things. And why 'preventative umpiring' is taught heavily across multiple sports - certainly most I have been involved in.

On these 3 occasions, nothing happened. Great. And as an official, you probably are going to get away with it the vast majority of the time without issue. That is not the point.

But it well known amongst umpires that this action has the --potential-- of causing an issue and there is a lot of known reports of it causing an issue. So why put yourself in that position at all when you didn't need to? I can just as easily call a good strike zone without making any comment. Avoid the trap - proactively prevent a potential source of a problem.

There are many, many situations like this - excessive talking pre-game to coaches you know, or friends in the crowd are another good example. It can turn quickly - so do it properly and avoid the situation altogether.

There is a temptation as an umpire to try to find ways to get the crowd on your side or be friends with everyone or find "an easy way out". That can blow up on you real quick.

Jun 9, 2011
...umpires that understand that where the ball enters or leaves the strike zone dictates balls or strikes (zone has depth, it's not thin) and they don't rely on the catchers frame. A non-swinging strike or ball can and should be called before the catcher even has the ball. Where she catches the ball does not always translate to where the ball has been.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
A non-swinging strike or ball can and should be called before the catcher even has the ball.

I think I know what you are trying to say here. that the pitch can be judged prior to the catcher having it as to whether it is or is not in the strike zone. A pitch should NOT be 'called" before the catcher even has it however, since to do that the umpire would have had to make a decision on the pitch before it even got to the zone. Just because an umpire has a decent delay on when he CALLS the pitch doesn't necessarily mean he judged it on where the catcher caught it or that and 'framing' she did influenced his decision.

But, yes, the zone is a solid, it isn't a plane.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It does happen
Makes me laugh
That umpires will say
To the catcher
'if you didnt move your glove...'
Or
'if you did move your glove...'
Or
'had you set up in this spot...'

'That would have been a strike.'

Haaha Gotta luv it!

Screenshot_2021-03-24-07-10-20-1-1.pngScreenshot_2021-03-24-07-10-37-1.pngScreenshot_2021-03-24-07-10-47-1.png

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
For the perfect answer just read Westwind's #20 post, it pretty much sums it up!
I am still going with Post #2.

TBH as a parent bad umpiring doesn't bother me..they usually suck for both teams. You guys obviously didn't get it all of your system when you played like I did...(the student referee in college intramural basketball who got a "bad pass" thrown at his arse is nodding in agreement) :LOL:

Last edited:

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
I firmly believe that the best umpires are those who know and understand the letter and intent of the rules. So many issues can be avoided with simple communication and preventative conversation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00