Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I'm faced with things like that every day of my life at work. People walk into my office with all kinds of "great ideas". When I ask them how to implement it or how we will support their idea financially all I get is a blank stare. Fun stuff...

Except people on here have made a few suggestions at how to implement it and it’s still not good enough.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm faced with things like that every day of my life at work. People walk into my office with all kinds of "great ideas". When I ask them how to implement it or how we will support their idea financially all I get is a blank stare. Fun stuff...
Ok, off the cuff:
2 day tournament: max 250 pitches no more than 150 in a day
3 day tournament: max 300 pitches no more than 150 in a day
4 day tournament: max 350 pitches no more than 150 in a day
etc

Those might be 14U/16U/18U numbers? Maybe adjust down some with younger ages.

I have a feeling you used your pitchers responsibly, do you think that would have been something you were comfortable with?

I have said before that DD's coach is pretty responsible with not overusing kids (his kid was a pretty good pitcher and pitched in college) and I think what I gave would fall into the upper range of what he does with 3 pitchers.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Maybe if more girls/women would publicize that they had to have RTC repairs done due to overuse like MLB players publicize TJ surgery, people would finally get it. Unfortunately, since softball still isn’t quite in that kind of limelight (or salary category), no one is going to see it for the issue it truly is and nothing will change.
Sounds like what social media is actually good for, to publicize small groups voices to show issues in a bigger light.

May 13, 2023
Maybe if more girls/women would publicize that they had to have RTC repairs done due to overuse like MLB players publicize TJ surgery, people would finally get it. Unfortunately, since softball still isn’t quite in that kind of limelight (or salary category), no one is going to see it for the issue it truly is and nothing will change.
?? Have you done some research on RTC repairs to show if it is escalating and to what degree??
Cannot imagine that has gone overlooked as far as medical statistics.
Quantity of surgeries for everything Etc

May 13, 2023
Ok, off the cuff:
etc

Those might be 14U/16U/18U numbers? Maybe adjust down some with younger ages.

I have a feeling you used your pitchers responsibly, do you think that would have been something you were comfortable with?

I have said before that DD's coach is pretty responsible with not overusing kids (his kid was a pretty good pitcher and pitched in college) and I think what I gave would fall into the upper range of what he does with 3 pitchers.
Finally!!
phew 😅didn't need to get out the pliers to pull teeth...but almost...

That looks acceptable and think it would also require less games scheduled per tournament.
Until such a time that more pitchers can be acquired/developed.
and/or Teams with more pitchers can enter tournaments that have more games. 🤷‍♀️

Example if you're going to Nationals teams have to have at least five pitchers.

Apr 1, 2017
Ok, off the cuff:
etc
Those seem reasonable. Out of curiosity, I compared them to the 2 local tournaments we played. 4GG, we ended up playing 5 in both. Our schedule worked out with no Friday pool games, so Sat/Sun only (2 days). 3 pitchers used in both, # of pitches thrown by each:

Tournament #1
222/160/92

Tournament #2
266/126/76 (#1 would have needed to be pulled)

Teams would need 3 reliable P (many don't have that now), even for the local tournaments. The larger, double elim, could be really tough to manage for loser bracket.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
This seems pretty reasonable to me. I would start to squirm a little if my DD got above, say, 125 in-game pitches in a single day. However, if she felt good and was still pitching effectively I could see going to 150. As many have pointed out, it's not just the in-game pitches. But the ones between innings. And the up/down of having to get warmed up multiple times in a day.

I advise my daughter to warm up as efficiently as possible, throwing the least she needs to to feel ready to compete in the game. I see less of it now at 18U, but was not uncommon in the recent past to see girls "warming up"--which usually included 4 overhand throws, 10 pitches from K, and then full pitching-- for 40 minutes to pitch in a game that was 75 minutes finish the inning.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, in HS, my daughter was the pitcher in 95% of the team's innings. We had five scheduled back-to-back games this season, and she pitched in every single one of those games. In one game, we had to go to extra innings to get the win, and she wound up throwing 158 pitches that day, not including her warm-ups. The next day, she had nothing left in the tank and pitched poorly. She threw eight pitches in the circle before the first inning and three before every other inning. That's 29 additional pitches she threw that day. 187 pitches without her pre-game routine of roughly 50 pitches. You don't normally get that kind of workload in showcases because of the lack of bracket play, but pitches can add up fast for those events with brackets.

I like the idea of eliminating double-elimination brackets. The loser's bracket is oftentimes brutal on the whole team, not to mention the pitchers.

What I don't like is the multiple games in one day. In Colorado, my daughter threw four full pre-game warmup routines in one day before she threw a single pitch in a game. She was gassed when she came in the third game of the day because of all the warm-up pitches she threw. We had a game at 11:15 AM, 4:45 PM, and our next game didn't kick off until 7:40 PM because of a delay in the two teams playing before us.

I guess what I am saying is there is no perfect solution. Inning limits don't always work because every inning is different. She can throw a five-pitch inning or a 40-pitch inning. Pitch limits aren't perfect, either. I like that Pattar had a suggestion. Something is better than nothing.

May 13, 2023
Nobody was stopping you from giving a solution..😉
Have been writing about the situation too figure out solution!
Many posts!

You brought up numbers about 50 pages ago LOL tried to ask you for exactly your numbers thankfully you came around in a few days to offer some 😁.... took you long enough didn't seem like hard math lol >>>
(had to put that in)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles