Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
What do you think would happen, without any pitch count rules, with some (many?) ) coaches that had 6 pitchers but one was much (might not even have to be "much") better than the other 5?
Probably same thing as now. But without discussing what to do about the solution and how it will affect softball all it is is a complaint wanting a rule.

Also save the "everyone has to make a choice" even those just newly potty trained...I heard you the first 10 times. In this case your assumption with that argument is that the parents of the kid who is overused would know better and care. If that isn't the case then you are basically saying oh well kid, tough luck your parents are idiots so screw you. I've said this a million times on here about various things, kids don't get to choose their parents.
I am not arguing anything.
I have brought up realistic discussion points to think through. If you don't like that and all you want is someone to say implement pitch counts, that's not going to be me because there's more to the discussion than just that sentence.

Have been listening to and involved in this topic from time to time for over 30 years. Yawn.

Make a decision for yourself/parents/people/coaches.
since nobody else has implemented a rule. Recognize you agree with this.

imo people should focus on why the people who run softball have not implemented pitch counts yet. Take a look at why that's not happening? Go talk to Patty G. down the hall from you. 😉😎

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Probably same thing as now. But without discussing what to do about the solution and how it will affect softball all it is is a complaint wanting a rule.
I've done plenty of discussing with regards to impact. Things would change...some people hate that.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
If you wanted to implement pitch counts wouldn't the 1st place you would start would be reducing the number of games a tournament would have in a day. It seems like a win - win to me.

Jun 8, 2016
If you wanted to implement pitch counts wouldn't the 1st place you would start would be reducing the number of games a tournament would have in a day. It seems like a win - win to me.
Yes that would help for sure...although there still would be nothing stopping a coach from pitching Sally in 5 of 6 games in a 3GG tournament.

Question is are parents aware enough to understand the benefits of this to the point where they will pay the same amount for a tournament with less games because we know TD's won't be charging less...especially at the younger ages where it is less about what college coaches are there (eg I can see parents in 16U/18U having less issues with it..). In other words, last year Joe Dad of 10U player paid $50 bucks for a tournament that had a 6GG and this year is paying the same for the same tournament with 3GG..how will that go over?

3/4 of the time when the question of why something hasn't happened (that seemingly makes sense) is asked the answer is $$$$....

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Haaahaaa maybe you could disguise yourself as pizza delivery and ask a question on the side 🤣
Patty is probably in Georgia right now for TC Nationals and then at Legacy. Next week I will give it a try and report back (hopefully not from the county jail..)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a feeling tournament directors may have something to say about that. Can't charge the same price for a 3 game guarantee that they can for a 5 game guarantee.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
What amazes me is how people can just say let's have pitch counts. Without actually looking at the full picture, and discussing its implementation.
I'm faced with things like that every day of my life at work. People walk into my office with all kinds of "great ideas". When I ask them how to implement it or how we will support their idea financially all I get is a blank stare. Fun stuff...

May 27, 2013
Maybe if more girls/women would publicize that they had to have RTC repairs done due to overuse like MLB players publicize TJ surgery, people would finally get it. Unfortunately, since softball still isn’t quite in that kind of limelight (or salary category), no one is going to see it for the issue it truly is and nothing will change.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00