H.S. Parent Follows Ump into Parking Lot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
The thing that really bugs me is that there is a shortage of umpires in my area. Everyone complains that the umps we do get are all "old geezers" and they cannot get younger people to take up umpiring. People like this parent are the reason that nobody wants to ump anymore!

Like I mentioned in an above post I’m an official (soccer). Clueless parents screaming at and berating new referees are why we have a shortage in many/most sports.

After a recent game I heard a frustrated parent explaining to another parent how the ref was wrong to disallow a goal because of an offside call (the call was 100% correct). He was speaking like he knew what he was talking about and the the ref was an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
May 20, 2015
and, as a coach.....as SOON as I get wind of this, MY first call is to AD, even before anyone comes to me with it.......never, ever good to see an AD get blindsided on something; if this is MY parent acting like an idiot or the other teams, my AD is hearing about it from me before anyone else even comes to him

May 20, 2015
I will have to respectfully disagree with you here. Just what is a game official doing in the crowd during a contest? How often has it been said not to have 'rabbit ears'? What can a game official do (other than forfeit a game) about a fan if they are not physically on the floor/field? No, this is school administration territory and yes, that means the coach as well if there is no one else there to deal with it.

an administrator should always be on hand for school based events.......while I've seen officials multiple times deal with unruly crowds or individuals.....USUALLY they will go to the AD and ask them to deal with it, but I have seen officials in multiple sports deal with crowd issues themselves at times; probably not the best practice, but......IF there is no AD, I would say going to the coach as the next official makes sense......but what i was intimating in my original post, even if it was worded poorly - that officials would call in the administrator to deal with a fan/crowd

I would never expect my coaches to have to deal with this; then again it is our league policy to have an administrator at ALL events (at times AD's will bounce between multiple events at the same venue, but....), so that administrator is always present....we have an AD that is also a basketball coach, we even have someone there as game administrator for his home games (either a principal or the retired AD that was before him)

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I would never expect my coaches to have to deal with this; then again it is our league policy to have an administrator at ALL events (at times AD's will bounce between multiple events at the same venue, but....), so that administrator is always present....we have an AD that is also a basketball coach, we even have someone there as game administrator for his home games (either a principal or the retired AD that was before him)

this is the policy in my area as well, for a very good reason: HCs are required to be school employees. An AC might not be. If, for some obscure, infrequent, once in a millennium, reason a HC is ejected from a contest, a school employee is REQUIRED to take his place on the bench, if there is not a school employee available, the contest would be over at that point via forfeit.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
but what i was intimating in my original post, even if it was worded poorly - that officials would call in the administrator to deal with a fan/crowd

Let me start by saying, I hate paperwork. If I as an official am the one that has to call in a school official to deal with a situation in the crowd, the state association will be getting a sportsmanship report from me by noon the next day. If it is bad enough that the official notices it AND has to deal with it, it had better have been on the radar of the school official assigned to that contest. On the reverse side, if I was aware that there was an issue and that the host school dealt with it efficiently, I will also be writing a report to the same state association complimenting the host school for upholding the good sportsmanship for which they are known.

May 20, 2015
this is the policy in my area as well, for a very good reason: HCs are required to be school employees. An AC might not be. If, for some obscure, infrequent, once in a millennium, reason a HC is ejected from a contest, a school employee is REQUIRED to take his place on the bench, if there is not a school employee available, the contest would be over at that point via forfeit.

are paid AC's considered school employees?

May 20, 2015
Let me start by saying, I hate paperwork. If I as an official am the one that has to call in a school official to deal with a situation in the crowd, the state association will be getting a sportsmanship report from me by noon the next day. If it is bad enough that the official notices it AND has to deal with it, it had better have been on the radar of the school official assigned to that contest. On the reverse side, if I was aware that there was an issue and that the host school dealt with it efficiently, I will also be writing a report to the same state association complimenting the host school for upholding the good sportsmanship for which they are known.

we've had officials point out particular fans in basketball games (always seems to be basketball crowds lol) and call in the AD......even with the AD there, it can be hard to discern individual behavior at times, and basketball crowds are generally rowdy

ADs and tournament officials (travel seems to have a greater percentage of unruly fans lol) can at times "tolerate" too much poor behavior imho, based on experience......some are great and are all over everything, some seem to let it go until someone says 'enough' - we've been lucky with that so far, our ADs have been solid and tolerate little.....but we get up into some of the old mill towns in our league, where everyone knows everyone, and too much gets let go, until the official finally says 'enough'

i was covering a HS basketball game once and had to eject one of the broadcasters for the visiting team for riding the official (his daughter was playing haha)......i had already warned him once, and he ran his mouth again, and the official gave me a look and said 'he's done'.......we had already given him the courtesy of setting up on the stage in our gym, which we didn't have to do......needless to say they haven't sent a broadcast team (their local public access channel) ever again......

Feb 13, 2021
MI
are paid AC's considered school employees?
If they have been registered with the state association AND have completed the required training, they can assume the duties in the case of an ejection. This is not info the official will likely have at the time and would be enforced by the state association when they follow-up with the ejection/sportsmanship report

May 20, 2015
If they have been registered with the state association AND have completed the required training, they can assume the duties in the case of an ejection. This is not info the official will likely have at the time and would be enforced by the state association when they follow-up with the ejection/sportsmanship report

interesting

all coaches here, volunteer and paid, have to complete coaching training, CPR/FA/Concussion/Heat training.....paid AC's are considered school employees......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish