H.S. Parent Follows Ump into Parking Lot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pretty sure if DD or I just mentioned this to coach they would be banned from games for a while.

Happened to be a women but she would not tolerate this on her Team.

She is the only one allowed to yell at her players or umpires. :)

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
DD had a varsity high school game last night. It was a pretty close game through the first few innings, then we broke it open. Ended up winning 17-5, or something close to that. Things were pretty calm, except for the belligerent parent for the opposing (home) team that got louder and louder about his displeasure with the umps strike zone. He must have been the pitcher’s dad. The ump did seem to have a tight zone, but was definitely consistent both ways. I never heard either coach chirp about the strike zone.

Fast forward to after the game, and I notice that still belligerent parent B-lining to the parking lot with that familiar “I’m a pissed off obese person waddle” yelling about the umpire. Ironically, he was parked right next to the ump. Parent immediately pop’s his hatch back open and is shuffling through his stuff, yelling at the ump the whole time, while the ump is trying to change his gear and get the heck out of there ASAP. You could see that the ump (probably in his 70s) was intimidated and visually “shaken”. He called the other ump over and asked if could “keep an eye on me”, which he did. Now, I saw this whole thing playing out from the beginning, so instead of waiting for my DD to tell her good job, something in my head told me to go to the parking lot to incase “something stupid” happened. It was small parking lot, and the two umps, belligerent parent, any myself were the only four people there at the time. I walked up about 20 feet away from their position and postured myself to where it was obvious that my entire purpose was to be a witness to their confrontation. I think I took the 2nd ump by surprise as he started to stare me down with that “what the heck” look. I gave him a wink and nod to let him know that I had no ill intent towards them. Belligerent parent then noticed me and gave me a stare down too, to which I stared back. He then turns back to the ump and starts yelling, “I never threatened you…NO! I never threatened you. I just had to tell you what a bad job you did!” Parent gave me another stare then started walking away. Plate ump is now changed out of his gear, and then peels out of the parking lot. 2nd ump asks me “What’s the deal with that guy?” to which I reply, “I don’t know, I’m a parent with the opposing team. It looked something stupid might happen so I thought that if there was a witness, that might diffuse the situation.” To which he thanked me. I then told him they umped a good game, and that I would not want to be an ump because of parents like that. He thanked me again, then also said that the plate ump was an idiot too. o_O

I was going to let this whole thing drop, but the more I think about it, I am wondering if I should report this parent to the other teams Athletic Director? It’s one thing to chirp in the stands about a call, but I think that following an ump to the parking lot after the game is WAY over the line. Did I prevent a physical altercation? I don't know. I’m not going to say that he went out the parking lot to physically beat the ump up, but you never know how things can escalate. I definitely think he went out there to at least verbally intimidate the guy. There is no place for that! So, should I report the guy, or let it drop?
Please report it to the AD.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I suggested
its time to video every game.
Perhaps practices too.
It C.Y.A.
covers your tushie!

I've alluded to the incident on the board before, but when a girl on the opposing team sucker punched my pitcher in the handshake line, the only reason the cops did anything is because we had video and we were able to show it to them right then and there.

That isn't the reason why I record games, but it is always in the back of my mind now.

Aug 25, 2019
Legal? Apparently, the umpire felt he was threatened. He went to the other umpire and asked him to stick around. Each state has its own laws regarding school employees, umpires, game officials like scorekeepers and timers, ... This can be considered an assault. If this was just a little more with a threat, it can be considered an "aggressive assault." If that is the case, for example, bumping or touching the umpire, then it gets really bad for the dad. Intent is always interesting in law. This didn't happen on a field. It happened in the parking lot. I believe that this shows intent to intimidate and threaten.
If anything it would be harassment, although there should be, and probably are, school rules against this type of behavior.

May 29, 2019
I asked DD's coach his opinion, and he said that I absolutely should report it to the AD. Following the ump to the parking lot was over the line. I'm sending the AD an email shortly, so we'll see what happens.

May 29, 2019
If I read the OP's story correctly, the parent was parked right next to the ump, so to say that he followed the ump to the parking lot to berate him may be overstating it a bit. He may have been storming back to his car and saw that the ump was doing the same (presumably minus the "storming") and decided to take advantage to loudly share his opinion. Still not a good look, and a call to the AD may still be warranted. Either way, glad that the OP went to the parking lot as that may have prevented it from escalating.
I didn't realize the parent was parked next to the ump until I got there. But thinking back, that explains why I heard the parent yelling "I'm parked over there!" to the other parents when he was storming to the parking lot. I think he saw that the ump was parked by him, husled over there to give him a few more choice words, but then could play all Mr. Innocent like "WHAT??? I was just going to my car.....I didn't do anything wrong..." I noticed that he did not take anything to his car and did not take anything back towards the field when he left.

May 20, 2015
when I was a middle school AD, we had similar.....parent followed a soccer official, stood behind his car, wouldn't et him leave until he got his license plate (official wouldn't give him his name, he told him to talk to the AD)....he was banned for a year

without a doubt report it.....I'm big on chain of command, so I would be reporting it to my AD; I'd probably leave it up to him to follow up with the appropriate parties....i might include the other school's AD as well

i would also make my statement in writing (email is fine), just because i think it is easier to make things clearer in an email, and then there is a record of it

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
During my preseason player/parent meeting, I address the idea of being this parent. Every coach does, I'm sure, but the one thing I tell them is that nobody there may know who you are. The umpire probably doesn't know which kid is yours. But your kid knows. You kid hears your voice and I can promise you it doesn't make her play better.

My guess is this girl would love it if her dad were benched for a few games so he could reflect on his behavior. I think it's a good idea to make a call. Hopefully the other school asks him to not come for a while. That's probably what's best for everybody involved.

When I was coaching 14u I had a player that would come to me apologizing for the behavior of her father. I felt terrible for her, but also very proud that she was able to recognize his behavior as unacceptable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck