H.S. Parent Follows Ump into Parking Lot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
As a coach, I am not big on talking to AD or Princibal. Very accseable.
Give coach a chance to sort it out 1st.
Right, but do school coaches really care about parent behavior? I mean they only see them at games for 2 months, not like travel parents where the coach sees them all day at tournaments, and travels with them.

May 6, 2015
but going to AD might deflect a little bit of this parents wrath away from you. let your boss be the bad guy when at all possible. Also keeps one more thing on your plate, and possibly doesnt sour relationtion with kid (I didnt tell AD, maybe it was ump, see you at practice tomorrow).

Feb 13, 2021
MI

I would say either is acceptable. I guarantee one thing, as the umpire, there is an incident report being filed. AD/principal/other non-coach school personnel should have been in attendance at the game to deal with this sort of issue. Sportsmanship issues are taken seriously here in Michigan (I presume in other states as well) and keeping the MHSAA in the loop has been a point of emphasis for years. Unfortunately, things like this (and worse) happen every day in school sports. be the force of change in your home town, let other parents know this sort of behavior is unacceptable.

Edit: PS Coach had the chance to sort it out when it was happening.

May 20, 2015
Right, but do school coaches really care about parent behavior? I mean they only see them at games for 2 months, not like travel parents where the coach sees them all day at tournaments, and travels with them.

this is AD's domain, not the coach's.......parents/fans behavior is entirely within the AD job description, not the coach's.....for the coach's sake it should go to the AD

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD or me report to coach, they want to go to AD so be it.

Neither of us are going to AD 1st. Coach is our contact point.

If we are not happy we can slowly move up the chain.

(I was lucky enough to go to all of DD's games. DD played for 3 years before coach knew I was her parent. Didn't ask but I was apparently some strange guy sitting in OF every game.)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI

I agree about your DD reporting to the coach. YOU are the same as any other student's parent/spectator. Would you say a band parent should go to the coach if this happened at a basketball or football game? If you feel a responsibility for general sportsmanship at your DD's school (and you should), then the AD or other member of the administration, is the proper person to talk to.

May 20, 2015

(I was lucky enough to go to all of DD's games. DD played for 3 years before coach knew I was her parent. Didn't ask but I was apparently some strange guy sitting in OF every game.)

no offense, but having been an AD and a coach, this is the wrong advice in this situation

the coach is in charge of the team

the crowd is the domain of umpires/officials during the game, and AD's before/during and after the game/event......

Feb 13, 2021
MI
the crowd is the domain of umpires/officials during the game

I will have to respectfully disagree with you here. Just what is a game official doing in the crowd during a contest? How often has it been said not to have 'rabbit ears'? What can a game official do (other than forfeit a game) about a fan if they are not physically on the floor/field? No, this is school administration territory and yes, that means the coach as well if there is no one else there to deal with it.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you here. Just what is a game official doing in the crowd during a contest? How often has it been said not to have 'rabbit ears'? What can a game official do (other than forfeit a game) about a fan if they are not physically on the floor/field? No, this is school administration territory and yes, that means the coach as well if there is no one else there to deal with it.

I agree. I am a soccer referee. The crowd (parents) and their behavior is on the coach of each team. Officials are instructed to NOT engage with the crowd.

When I ref if there is an unruly parent I go to the coach and instruct him to deal with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2019
I received a rather quick response from the offending parent's athletic director. Along with the "thank you, sorry this happened" he stated that he ''...was made aware of the situation and will handle it on his end." So it sounds like there may have been a report other than mine. Hopefully they can reign in that's guys behavior. I don't understand how people can act that way.

The thing that really bugs me is that there is a shortage of umpires in my area. Everyone complains that the umps we do get are all "old geezers" and they cannot get younger people to take up umpiring. People like this parent are the reason that nobody wants to ump anymore!

My daughter has told me multiple times that she wants to start umpiring, to which I always reply "NO YOU DON'T!" I keep thinking that if my young daughter would have been umpiring this game, that parent would not have made it to the parking lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck