H.S. Parent Follows Ump into Parking Lot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
IMHO, no parent has a right to follow an ump to the parking lot. Congrats on your part to diffuse the situation. People can be idiots and lose their minds on silly stuff no doubt about it. There is no exception and should never happen although I would argue the entertainment on youtube will be lessened substantially. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yelling is Legal.

Not saying being intimidating is good.
Not supporting it either.
However there are all over the place people yelling. On the curbside, in grocery store parking lots, people living in there car down the street who have episodes. Lots of yellers.

Even
Parents who call principles, athletic directors and call coaches who explode over the phone yelling. Usually with something they believe is worth yelling about.

...its just added perspectives to the original post...
Cuzzz there are the yellers....

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yelling is Legal.
Yes it is. As most everyone here knows, I got into it with an umpire once (nothing to do with bad calls). Yes it was more than just yelling but my DD hasn't forgotten about it and neither has my DW..not sure either has forgiven me for it either..nor should they. Every kid has a tolerance level for stupid behavior from their parents and you won't know what that is until you go past the limit...do you really want to find out?

Just to add perspective to your post....

May 21, 2015
South
Our high school has a law enforcement professional at all home games. In addition, an administrator from the school is present at all games (home/away) to make sure the coach behaves. It seems like a waste of time and money until a situation occurs like the one described in this post.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
If I read the OP's story correctly, the parent was parked right next to the ump, so to say that he followed the ump to the parking lot to berate him may be overstating it a bit. He may have been storming back to his car and saw that the ump was doing the same (presumably minus the "storming") and decided to take advantage to loudly share his opinion. Still not a good look, and a call to the AD may still be warranted. Either way, glad that the OP went to the parking lot as that may have prevented it from escalating.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Legal? Apparently, the umpire felt he was threatened. He went to the other umpire and asked him to stick around. Each state has its own laws regarding school employees, umpires, game officials like scorekeepers and timers, ... This can be considered an assault. If this was just a little more with a threat, it can be considered an "aggressive assault." If that is the case, for example, bumping or touching the umpire, then it gets really bad for the dad. Intent is always interesting in law. This didn't happen on a field. It happened in the parking lot. I believe that this shows intent to intimidate and threaten.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yes it is. As most everyone here knows, I got into it with an umpire once (nothing to do with bad calls). Yes it was more than just yelling but my DD hasn't forgotten about it and neither has my DW..not sure either has forgiven me for it either..nor should they. Every kid has a tolerance level for stupid behavior from their parents and you won't know what that is until you go past the limit...do you really want to find out?

Just to add perspective to your post....
Yep good example Mr. Pattar!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
At a very prominent high school here in so cal.
With a big time baseball program.
The head coach was a students dad.
He told me their j.v. team had an overly emotional play call by a blue.
Where both duggouts cleared.
Problems after the game in parking lot to.
He had heard of this from his j.v. coach. So he couldnt comment knowing what happened to whom or why.

He as a head coach had to unwind the problems that came from the episode and the parents who started calling.

I suggested
its time to video every game.
Perhaps practices too.
It C.Y.A.
covers your tushie!

Not that i want or like extra eye's recording.
It does help with these unfortunet type things.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
If I read the OP's story correctly, the parent was parked right next to the ump, so to say that he followed the ump to the parking lot to berate him may be overstating it a bit

Perhaps a call to your own AD to suggest that umpires be assigned/offered a separate parking spot/area. Especially if there is no locker room available for them to change before/after a game. I don't mind stripping down to my Under Armors in the parking lot, but it is nice to not have to do it in sight of the whole world.

Edit: I presume it is just as nice, or more, for them to not have to see me doing so.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck