Guru's V

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
'Staying tall' isn't going to work........
tumblr_pfmuwr32Gd1usf292o1_500.gif

tumblr_pfff9nrhhm1usf292o1_500.gif

[MENTION=11792]Work=wins[/MENTION] A cue, any cue, is only as valuable as the explanation and instruction that is provided with it. If you are using the swings in the above .gifs as your examples of 'stay tall', and the person you are conveying this to understands it as such, then I would call it a win. However, just using the cue 'stay tall' I don't think is going to cut it. What I didn't explain in my previous posts is that was the reason I was using a similar drill to begin with. Back in DD's early softball days, the other coach on our team would preach 'stay tall' but wouldn't provide any context. This resulted in my daughter standing up tall like a zombie and not being able to hit a single pitch below her waist. I had to then show her how to fix this. The same can be said about "squish the bug", "swing level", and a plethora of other cues. When used in the right context, they could be useful. But they could also be quite damaging if not used properly.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Julray good luck. These guys are playing with you. Too bad. Your DD will suffer because of it. Like I said learn how to shift your weight dynamically sagitally and on time. That’s most of the swing. The rest can be worked out easily after dynamic balance is realized.

If you are looking for threads. Key words would be forward yet back, dynamic balance , coil . TDS is a good poster to read on this subject. Or you can go to baseball debate and search there.

Walk up front toss is a great drill for this. But you still need the ‘hows’ and ‘whys’. Read up.

Keep in mind , you NEED to load in the sagittal plane to realize dynamic balance.

Why use 2 different usernames......One on DFP and a different one on BBD. Who's playing who. Secret sauce......

STAY TALL MY FRIEND........ STAY TALL.....
the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-looks-smooth-in-a-pinstripe-jacket.jpg

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
[MENTION=11792]Work=wins[/MENTION] A cue, any cue, is only as valuable as the explanation and instruction that is provided with it. If you are using the swings in the above .gifs as your examples of 'stay tall', and the person you are conveying this to understands it as such, then I would call it a win. However, just using the cue 'stay tall' I don't think is going to cut it. What I didn't explain in my previous posts is that was the reason I was using a similar drill to begin with. Back in DD's early softball days, the other coach on our team would preach 'stay tall' but wouldn't provide any context. This resulted in my daughter standing up tall like a zombie and not being able to hit a single pitch below her waist. I had to then show her how to fix this. The same can be said about "squish the bug", "swing level", and a plethora of other cues. When used in the right context, they could be useful. But they could also be quite damaging if not used properly.

And the waters are muddy. Good job RD. Any cue . Of course. Read all the posts. So you can see how we got to this point...

Like I said if someone is falling over the plate to get to the low and away pitch. Stay tall works great. Those swings up top are of the wrong pitch location. Rd was showing the head lowering and not staying tall. So I guess jokes on you. And RD . Good job RD. You guys can hash that out.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Why use 2 different usernames......One on DFP and a different one on BBD. Who's playing who. Secret sauce......

STAY TALL MY FRIEND........ STAY TALL.....
the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-looks-smooth-in-a-pinstripe-jacket.jpg

Oh you got me. It only took you 2 months? I was wondering when you’d get it. Longer than I thought...I keep giving you more credit than you deserve. I know you NEED to know these things. Stay small my friend stay small.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Stay small my friend stay small.
It's getting SAT but, don't SIT my friend.........not 'get small'.
tumblr_pdbgx9HDEL1usf292o1_400.gif

I've known but, thought I needed to point that out for those that might be buying into your ACT.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It's getting SAT but, don't SIT my friend.........not 'get small'.
tumblr_pdbgx9HDEL1usf292o1_400.gif

I've known but, thought I needed to point that out for those that might be buying into your ACT.

I don’t have an ACT. This isn’t a show. It’s hitting. I give and listen to hitting techniques. I coach. I’m sharing my experiences with others that are looking for help. I don’t care for extracurriculars as far as drama or sarcasm. It doesn’t help anyone in anyway. My screen name shouldn’t have any bearing on my content. If I wanted you to not know who I was , you wouldn’t. There are hundreds of ways to describe hitting so...

I don’t have an agenda. I am not selling anything. So what ACT would this be?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Keep in mind , you NEED to load in the sagittal plane to realize dynamic balance."

I was just explaining this^^^^^^ to my 10 year old DD. She was sooooo interested. Thanx.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What would you call "getting sat"? Useing "sat" in a sentence "sitting on offspeed" as this describes sinking more into flexion, as a way to store, and keep creating power?

It was merely a bad ‘ description ‘ imo. I don’t care for cues that describe something that isn’t happening in the swing like ‘stay back’ or get ‘SAT’. Cues like this can be harmful used in the wrong context. The fact of the matter is sitting at anytime during the swing is not what is happening. You have dynamic balance in that moment of the swing. Because you have loaded your body in the sagittal plane and are able to stay adjustable with your weight shift because you have not ‘FULLY ‘ committed to the pitch yet. Hope this helps .

Sitting on offspeed or fastball etc. is a different meaning imo. Basically it means you are ‘looking’ for said pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06