Girls Baseball ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How big is girls' baseball in your area?

Here in Canada, it's growing like crazy. They are benefiting from the boys' infrastructure to:

a) Get decent coaching
b) Play on boys' teams
c) Girls teams playing in boys' league
d) Get admin support from established federation
e) Get lots of funding for Women's Baseball International Events (cups, worlds, etc)

Marc

Oct 19, 2009
I’m not aware of any all girls baseball teams in Georgia, although some girls play on boy’s teams until high school or middle school. It seems I heard after softball was taken out of the Olympics there was to have been a push to switch girls over to baseball, as far as I know it has not happen in our area.

Jul 26, 2010
No such thing here in California. Girls typically can play little league or similar until they're about 12 or so. Youth softball starts at 5, but a lot of parents find it much easier to bring siblings to the same sport and such. A lot of kids coming out of baseball are rather strong at softball and adjust quickly.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Here is one organization that I am aware of New York Women's Baseball Association

I started to sign up for an adult baseball league last summer and the guys said "no problem." Then, I got to thinking about the 90 foot bases and I backed out. I never have been very fast.

I picked up a few games last year in our men's baseball league, and I'm not quite as good as I thought I was 20 years ago. Me and this other guy were the only ones in our late 30's. ( it's more of a summer league for college age players to stay sharp ) Pitching I was good for about 4 innings ( weekend tournament ) my fastball looks like my old change up. Fielding ground balls, my old scoop and fire was more like, hope I can stop the ball and not fall over. And to top it off, the coach said I was the only player he had that could turn a stand up triple into a close play at first. ( I guess my wheels now have a flat ) getting old sucks!!

I was on motrin for a week, sore in every muscle on my body, and my pitching arm was so weak I had to eat with the other hand. I think I'll just stick to coaching the girls. :)

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
IL
None in IL that I'm aware of.

Not sure why it would ever take off. Baseball is almost as boring as soccer. As a spectator during some games, you could take a nap and not miss much.

Fastpitch is a much better game.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
None in IL that I'm aware of.

Not sure why it would ever take off. Baseball is almost as boring as soccer. As a spectator during some games, you could take a nap and not miss much.

Fastpitch is a much better game.

That's why when I want to go to sleep I turn on a Cubs game. . .:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32