Is Softball Sexist?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Playing baseball was always exciting to me, now that I'm just a spectator it's really really s-l-o-w. Besides watching family, if I go to a game I find myself getting there to see the last few innings. If I'm watching on tv ( excluding the WS ), same last few innings because they will always replay the "highs" of the game anyway.

How many dads (or males) have said to you, "You know XX amount of years ago I never would have thought I would enjoy watching softball so much." Or something along those lines. It happens to me all that time.

I know from a spectator perspective it's a fun sport to watch and has to be a fun sport to play.

Nov 3, 2012
How many dads (or males) have said to you, "You know XX amount of years ago I never would have thought I would enjoy watching softball so much." Or something along those lines. It happens to me all that time.

I know from a spectator perspective it's a fun sport to watch and has to be a fun sport to play.

I used to love baseball when I was young. But I havent watched a game in years. Just cant get into baseball anymore. A lot of reasons why (too long, too slow, same teams always win). But I cant get enough of College Softball. Its much more interesting.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Fastpitch softball is one of the few games where women can play the game and look "good" playing it.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
Fastpitch softball is my sport now. I coach it and watch it. I still enjoy the occasional MLB game though.

I really get tired of these sexist articles, etc. It seems to imply that men are awful and we are keeping the women/girls down and from getting equal opportunity, blah, blah, blah. Most of my favorite people on this Earth are female. My daughters top the list. I would do anything for them. And to imply that it is sexist because my daughters play softball instead of baseball is deeply offensive to me. My daughters love softball. It is a great sport. They love softball as much as I ever loved baseball. Why people try to stir up these "controversies" is beyond my understanding.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I love the Article. It's an example of free speech and freedom of the press Both are very good things. I love the fact that articles I disagree with are printed every day. It makes me think about my opinions. Which either changes them with new information. Or strengthens them with trial.

Title IX does not guarantee equal sports it provides for equal opportunity. Which is why there are volleyball teams instead of girls football. Title IX gives our DDs opportunities that my generation and older did not have. This article may come across as nutty to us, but at one time the idea of equal opportunities for girls in sports was considered not just nutty but un-American.

FWIW - When Title IX was passed in 1972 more than 90% of college women's sports teams had female Head Coaches. With the advent of equal funding those jobs became more lucrative and the attrition of female Head Coaches began. Today that number is about 40%.

Nov 3, 2012
FWIW - When Title IX was passed in 1972 more than 90% of college women's sports teams had female Head Coaches. With the advent of equal funding those jobs became more lucrative and the attrition of female Head Coaches began. Today that number is about 40%.

Ok, But you have to admit there are a lot more Women's athletic teams to coach since the passing of Title IX. I wonder what the increase in womens sports participation since 1972 at the College level. Also, 40% seems reallly low from my perception. Not saying its wrong, but sure seems low?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles