FYB clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Not really sure what you mean, the posture people say this and the extension people say that. Show me with either video or whatever.

Tell me in the words that you would use to tell your daughter to hit better.
Keep firing your questions FB. I recommend picking up a bat(which I believe you mentioned you currently do) when you get an answer and see how it feels, then follow up with more questions. Lots of people willing to help on here

Aug 20, 2017
So important when it comes to barrel path.. if not the most important. I believe the body is so much more important in establishing barrel path then the hands
Totally agree! I tried to feel TTB. I did all the basic drills for TTB. It never felt synced up with my body. When I swung the bat thinking about the hands actively torquing it got my body out of whack. On here, it seemed everyone’s response to a DD was to learn to TTB. I’m glad we seem to have turned the corner a bit on TTB and many are realizing that it has its place (I’m still not sold on this) but it’s not the answer. Learning to use the body correctly is the most important aspect of becoming a good hitter.

Aug 20, 2017
Not really sure what you mean, the posture people say this and the extension people say that. Show me with either video or whatever.

Tell me in the words that you would use to tell your daughter to hit better.
Players have a preferred posture. This is the position where they feel the most athletic. This is the position that they launch the bat from. Some players preferred posture may need to tweaked if it doesn’t allow for the back shoulder to fold under the ball on a waist high pitch (basically too tall and upright). Some will get too much weight over toes and will misalign under balls or over compensate by coming up out of posture. I always teach 2 aspects of posture to my players: hips back and head behind the ball.

Posture can be preset some (Miggy) in the stance with the hips back. Good posture is typically achieved during the stride and can be adjusted based on pitch location. The key is maintaining that posture throughout the swing. IF a player is out of sequence, their body will make compensations. Coming out of posture is symptom of bad sequence. So when coaches yell “keep your head down” they aren’t really helping.

Extension is also a byproduct of good sequence. As is staying inside the ball. I’ve seen coaches try to tell players to get to extension. The result of this is the body moves forward of center after foot plant causing more problems. Coaches teaching stay inside the ball can cause the hands to slot early in a pushing fashion. We know this is bad.

When evaluating a hitter I always look for a sequencing error first. If sequence is good, typically the swing is gonna be good.

Have you posted a video of your DD? Sorry if I missed it.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
You are not going find all your answers here and sometimes you will even be more confused because we all don’t agree. If you want to learn about posture then take a look at out front hitting on Instagram. This guy talks about posture an awful lot, he’s easy to understand and he demos, and provides drills.

Thanks, i like what i have seen from this guy.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Keep firing your questions FB. I recommend picking up a bat(which I believe you mentioned you currently do) when you get an answer and see how it feels, then follow up with more questions. Lots of people willing to help on here
Thanks, i may take the plunge and post some as well and comment on the feels. Not as brave as Shawn...yet.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Players have a preferred posture. This is the position where they feel the most athletic. This is the position that they launch the bat from. Some players preferred posture may need to tweaked if it doesn’t allow for the back shoulder to fold under the ball on a waist high pitch (basically too tall and upright). Some will get too much weight over toes and will misalign under balls or over compensate by coming up out of posture. I always teach 2 aspects of posture to my players: hips back and head behind the ball.

Posture can be preset some (Miggy) in the stance with the hips back. Good posture is typically achieved during the stride and can be adjusted based on pitch location. The key is maintaining that posture throughout the swing. IF a player is out of sequence, their body will make compensations. Coming out of posture is symptom of bad sequence. So when coaches yell “keep your head down” they aren’t really helping.

Extension is also a byproduct of good sequence. As is staying inside the ball. I’ve seen coaches try to tell players to get to extension. The result of this is the body moves forward of center after foot plant causing more problems. Coaches teaching stay inside the ball can cause the hands to slot early in a pushing fashion. We know this is bad.

When evaluating a hitter I always look for a sequencing error first. If sequence is good, typically the swing is gonna be good.

Have you posted a video of your DD? Sorry if I missed it.
Thank you for the comments. Below is a thread i had started with DD. thanks.

Aug 20, 2017
Thank you for the comments. Below is a thread i had started with DD. thanks.

1587240808466.gif
I was the first to reply in that thread lol! Crazy how swing thoughts evolve, come and go.

Let’s look at her again. Couple things on sequence. Her back knee and hands both fire at the same time. Good sequence, the back knee advances during the stride and begins it’s internal rotation while the hands/upper body are still resisting. I think changing her stride will help. During the stride, I want to see the back knee, belly button, and front leg to all gain ground. If you notice during her stride the back knee isn’t moving forward (mainly due to how narrow she is). This is going to cause the above sequencing error. Fix it by dry load/stride and freeze, focusing on part 1 only first and then add part 2.
1.) Stride moving forward (controlled by rear leg) Freeze at toe touch and ask her did your back knee, belly button, and front foot advance. Make sure she has good rhythm and tempo.
2.) Upper body continues to pull back all the way to toe touch. When she adds this part she will probably try to stay on her back leg and reach with the stride leg. Make sure she’s moving forward.

I would probably add posture to the above. Her posture is good for the height you have this tee at. It’s up some and she stays taller. During above dry drills, get her butt out (hips back). She can preset this some in stance or get butt out during stride. Either way add that in.

Once she gets comfortable moving forward during the stride do these on tees:
1.) Load/stride freeze, load/stride swing: during the freeze portion have her check herself (did back knee, belly button, front foot advance? did I continue pull back? did my I get into good posture? The drill will go load/stride freeze and check, then back into stance and load/stride swing without any freeze.
2.) Exaggerated slow stride swings: pretty obvious what this is but it helps with tempo and feeling the stretch. It’s just a regular swing going really slow in the load/stride process.

Hope that helps!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
faafcbcf1626c103ce01a4c6cccdf0dd854b733e.gifv

It's a 'top down' swing. It's turn then go and not a turn and go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32