Coaches interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
Can someone clarify the rules behind coaches in the coaching box as far as interference. USA rules are fine. I’ve been told two different things, I have to not move because if I get run into its consider interfering. And I was just told today that I have to make a reasonable attempt, to get out of the way or I’m interfering.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
USA Rule...batter is out..."When members of the team at bat, including those in the team area other than runners,
interfere with a player attempting to field a fair or foul fly ball."

USA Rules Supplement...
"Coach’s interference occurs when a base coach runs toward home and draws a throw or when they interfere with a fielder attempting to catch or throw a ball. The coach’s box is not a sanctuary."

Get out of the way...quickly. If it's hard to move quickly or you don't know which way, don't be out there. Rules don't say anything about "reasonable attempt". If you interfere, you interfere.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2015
Yep, it’s not whether you move or don’t move. Were you in the way of the defender trying to make a play? If yes, then it’s interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I got one of our batters called out one time while in the coaching box. Right handed batter hits a soft line drive right at me while I was coaching 3rd base. I caught the ball instead of letting the ball go into the foul territory. Umpire said the 3rd baseman had a chance to catch the ball. The ball was not crushed but it was not a fly ball either. I did have time to move but my first reaction was to just catch the ball. No way was the third baseman going to catch the ball.

We were up by more than 10 runs so I decided not to argue that call at that time.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
USA Rule...batter is out..."When members of the team at bat, including those in the team area other than runners,
interfere with a player attempting to field a fair or foul fly ball."

USA Rules Supplement...
"Coach’s interference occurs when a base coach runs toward home and draws a throw or when they interfere with a fielder attempting to catch or throw a ball. The coach’s box is not a sanctuary."

Get out of the way...quickly. If it's hard to move quickly or you don't know which way, don't be out there. Rules don't say anything about "reasonable attempt". If you interfere, you interfere.

Note that if you're standing there and a wild throw hits you, that's not interference unless you did something intentional. In that case, you're neither interfering with a player attempting to field a fair or foul fly ball nor are you interfering with a fielder attempting to catch or throw a ball.

The coach's box is literally only there to be a starting spot. Nothing in the rules says you have to be there once the ball is in play, and being there/not being there during play doesn't make you more or less likely to be guilty of interference.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Can someone clarify the rules behind coaches in the coaching box as far as interference. USA rules are fine. I’ve been told two different things, I have to not move because if I get run into its consider interfering. And I was just told today that I have to make a reasonable attempt, to get out of the way or I’m interfering.
I always found the easiest way to get out of the way is to pause a second watch the fielder. She'll usually be moving quickly in a straight line. If you know where she's going you can move to where she's not going.

Usually you'll see interference when the coach thinks they are getting out of the way but actually moves into the way. A little pause helps.

Jul 31, 2019
USA Rules Supplement...

Can someone add clarity to this? When coaching third, and a runner coming to third/home, I work down the line to about half way. The baserunner runs to me where I can let them continue, or give a late hold up depending on the throw. Am I at risk for an interference call?

Jun 11, 2013
Can someone add clarity to this? When coaching third, and a runner coming to third/home, I work down the line to about half way. The baserunner runs to me where I can let them continue, or give a late hold up depending on the throw. Am I at risk for an interference call?
Not any more than if you stay in the box. The majority of interference calls are on foul popups where F5 or F3 run into you.

Nov 18, 2015
By drawing a throw, I've always interpreted that to mean the base coach acts like a runner in an attempt to deceive the fielders.

Maybe this is a holdover from baseball, where (I think) there used to be more stringent requirements on the coaches wearing the same uniform as the players. I hope. Otherwise, it probably means some d***head of a coach was actually able to draw a throw enough times with his or her fake-baserunning shenanigans that the rule was needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles