Coaches interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
Had a play this spring where batted ball goes over the RF head. P heads toward 3B to get in position to back up throw to 3B coming from OF. 3rd base coach had been basically on top of the bag, then tries to hurry back, colliding with the P, sending her hard to the ground. Throw gets by the 3B, and batter runs home because no one in backup position. Is this interference? At the time the coach leveled the P, she wasn't attempting to field a ball, but rather attempting to get into position to be able to field a ball if the intended recipient missed it.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Had a play this spring where batted ball goes over the RF head. P heads toward 3B to get in position to back up throw to 3B coming from OF. 3rd base coach had been basically on top of the bag, then tries to hurry back, colliding with the P, sending her hard to the ground. Throw gets by the 3B, and batter runs home because no one in backup position. Is this interference? At the time the coach leveled the P, she wasn't attempting to field a ball, but rather attempting to get into position to be able to field a ball if the intended recipient missed it.
It should be interference. According to the rule quotes earlier it doesn't seem like it. So the first base coach should tackle the first base person on any infield grounder prior to the throw. I'm being ridiculous here, but is there more to this rule or interpretation of it?

May 29, 2015
It should be interference. According to the rule quotes earlier it doesn't seem like it. So the first base coach should tackle the first base person on any infield grounder prior to the throw. I'm being ridiculous here, but is there more to this rule or interpretation of it?

I would apply that same logic.

NFHS verbiage does NOT require a play to be "actively" in progress. It simply requires the defense be impeded, hindered, or confused.

USA states the defensive player must be "attempting to execute a play." My liberal interpretation in the situation would consider the pitcher to be actively involved in the attempted execution of a play.

USSSA uses "attempting to make a play." Little bit tougher to make the argument here, but I have a serious issue awarding the coach for his ignorance ... so I'm still ruling the same thing since the coach prevented the pitcher from being able to back up the play and allowed the runner to score.

May 29, 2015
By drawing a throw, I've always interpreted that to mean the base coach acts like a runner in an attempt to deceive the fielders.

Maybe this is a holdover from baseball, where (I think) there used to be more stringent requirements on the coaches wearing the same uniform as the players. I hope. Otherwise, it probably means some d***head of a coach was actually able to draw a throw enough times with his or her fake-baserunning shenanigans that the rule was needed.

Holdover? No. There are still idiot coaches that will try to run down the baseline with their runners in both sports and at many age levels. The uniform thing makes sense, but in all reality, a player sees movement and reacts before much else registers.

One local varsity coach (who I have talked about many times before) and his staff will try to stand on the bag with the runner. Opposite effect, as the fielders see somebody still on the bag and don't react.

Yes, proper baseball requires coaches to be in uniform. I always thank coaches in summer ball when they are properly attired. It's rare, but it happens.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I would apply that same logic.

NFHS verbiage does NOT require a play to be "actively" in progress. It simply requires the defense be impeded, hindered, or confused.

USA states the defensive player must be "attempting to execute a play." My liberal interpretation in the situation would consider the pitcher to be actively involved in the attempted execution of a play.

USSSA uses "attempting to make a play." Little bit tougher to make the argument here, but I have a serious issue awarding the coach for his ignorance ... so I'm still ruling the same thing since the coach prevented the pitcher from being able to back up the play and allowed the runner to score.

The NFHS seems to represent the spirit of the rule.

Jun 20, 2015
we played an 18U travel team several times couple years ago, where the 3B coach liked to stand very close to the line whenever he had a runner at 3B. And loved to move down the line closer to home whenever the runner lead off into foul territory. Essentially, trying to hide his runner behind him so the catcher could not see the base runner's lead-off.

It cost us a run 1x. The other times there was runner at 3B it cost the coach a couple bruises from wearing throws to 3b. Ironically, his attempts stopped after that.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I got one of our batters called out one time while in the coaching box. Right handed batter hits a soft line drive right at me while I was coaching 3rd base. I caught the ball instead of letting the ball go into the foul territory. Umpire said the 3rd baseman had a chance to catch the ball. The ball was not crushed but it was not a fly ball either. I did have time to move but my first reaction was to just catch the ball. No way was the third baseman going to catch the ball.

We were up by more than 10 runs so I decided not to argue that call at that time.

This was interesting to read because DD's team experienced something similar (though interference wasn't called) last week. DD's team was on defense, hitter hits a "not a line drive" but not a "blooper" to foul territory near 1B. The base coach catches it with just a quick hop over and arm outreached. The 1B player made a move, but not sure she would have actually gotten to the ball. But it was clear she let up because the coach was right there and made the catch. She would have had to go through him to get the ball, but no physical interaction (player running into coach) happened.

Umpires simply called foul ball and the ball went back to the pitcher. To me, it was one of those 50/50 plays/calls. Maybe the umpire thought the player didn't have a play on the ball? But, on the other hand, she wasn't given an opportunity to attempt a full play on the ball because the coach didn't move out of the way. No harm in the end, as the hitter struck out. It was just interesting to me.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
What about a defensive coach? I was coaching a game where my runner was rounding 3rd during a first & 3rd situation. The batter was rounding first. The defensive coach yelled, "Time, " although not yet granted by the umpire and crossed the foul line into fair territory. I sent my runner as did the first base coach. In the confusion the semi-distracted pitcher airmailed the ball home.

The coach didn't interfere with my runner, but he did walk between her and home while she was still rounding third, but she was a live runner and the defensive coach was on the field.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
What about a defensive coach? I was coaching a game where my runner was rounding 3rd during a first & 3rd situation. The batter was rounding first. The defensive coach yelled, "Time, " although not yet granted by the umpire and crossed the foul line into fair territory. I sent my runner as did the first base coach. In the confusion the semi-distracted pitcher airmailed the ball home.

The coach didn't interfere with my runner, but he did walk between her and home while she was still rounding third, but she was a live runner and the defensive coach was on the field.
Someone just asked about this recently on Facebook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles