FYB clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
faafcbcf1626c103ce01a4c6cccdf0dd854b733e.gifv

It's a 'top down' swing. It's turn then go and not a turn and go.
I think simply moving forward during the stride would help greatly with sequence. Look how long the rear knee is pointed at the camera and not moving forward. It moves forward way too late. Hips get way too rotated due to not having any stretch to help decelerate

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
View attachment 17184
I was the first to reply in that thread lol! Crazy how swing thoughts evolve, come and go.

Let’s look at her again. Couple things on sequence. Her back knee and hands both fire at the same time. Good sequence, the back knee advances during the stride and begins it’s internal rotation while the hands/upper body are still resisting. I think changing her stride will help. During the stride, I want to see the back knee, belly button, and front leg to all gain ground. If you notice during her stride the back knee isn’t moving forward (mainly due to how narrow she is). This is going to cause the above sequencing error. Fix it by dry load/stride and freeze, focusing on part 1 only first and then add part 2.
1.) Stride moving forward (controlled by rear leg) Freeze at toe touch and ask her did your back knee, belly button, and front foot advance. Make sure she has good rhythm and tempo.
2.) Upper body continues to pull back all the way to toe touch. When she adds this part she will probably try to stay on her back leg and reach with the stride leg. Make sure she’s moving forward.

I would probably add posture to the above. Her posture is good for the height you have this tee at. It’s up some and she stays taller. During above dry drills, get her butt out (hips back). She can preset this some in stance or get butt out during stride. Either way add that in.

Once she gets comfortable moving forward during the stride do these on tees:
1.) Load/stride freeze, load/stride swing: during the freeze portion have her check herself (did back knee, belly button, front foot advance? did I continue pull back? did my I get into good posture? The drill will go load/stride freeze and check, then back into stance and load/stride swing without any freeze.
2.) Exaggerated slow stride swings: pretty obvious what this is but it helps with tempo and feeling the stretch. It’s just a regular swing going really slow in the load/stride process.

Hope that helps!

Thanks CB. Will post more when we get outside again.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
1590233451327.gif
Guess I’ll put this one here seeing how we’ve been working on spacing the floor and balance dynamically (FYB) of late. Middle awayish pitch. I like the natural bracing into the ball strike, releasing all the energy stored from the bat into the ball. Shows me the lower is stable during rotation (no leaks). Basically leveraged. Get that right with barrel and core in sync. Swing won’t be too bad. Main mechanical components imo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32