Fish Hook hand Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
Assuming Mankin said this...

Keeping the lead-elbow at a constant angle during the swing is one of the key provisions we are incorporating in the design of our Rotational Training Vest we are working on.

...the questioner seems to understand the role of the front elbow better than Mankin.

The questioner is using the Hanson principle to good effect.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
For the parents scratching their heads thinking what the heck, yes, there are two different definitions of bat drag being thrown around. One is this Analysis see clip 21 through 24. The new definition invented by the torque the hands crew is pulling the bat along it's length like this. Photo 15 of 31, Analysis

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
For the parents scratching their heads thinking what the heck, yes, there are two different definitions of bat drag being thrown around. One is this Analysis see clip 21 through 24. The new definition invented by the torque the hands crew is pulling the bat along it's length like this. Photo 15 of 31, Analysis

"The discipline of team learning starts with "dialogue," the capacity of members of a team to suspend assumptions and enter into a genuine "thinking together." To the Greeks dia-logos meant a free-flowing of meaning through a group, allowing the group to discover insights not attainable individually. Interestingly, the practice of dialogue has been preserved in many "primitive" cultures, such as that of the American Indian, but it has been almost completely lost to modern society. Today, the principles and practices of dialogue are being rediscovered and put into a contemporary context. (Dialogue differs from the more common "discussion," which has its roots with "percussion" and "concussion," literally a heaving of ideas back and forth in a winner takes-all competition. The discipline of dialogue also involves learning how to recognize the patterns of interaction in teams that undermine learning. The patterns of defensiveness are often deeply ingrained in how a team operates. If unrecognized, they undermine learning. If recognized and surfaced creatively, they can actually accelerate learning." From The Fifth Discipline by Bohmn

Mark your comments to the parents is on target as many who come to these boards are asking for help, advice or a drill. I have no problem without seeing a clip or video as I have been doing this for 20 years and just try to help the kids or parents. It is not life or death it is softball and about the kids having fun and taking it to the next level if they choose to.

I try to explain things in measurable and observable terms that reasonable people could agree upon and then how could we test to see if it works. By working with kids you come up with all kinds of creative ways to explain things and whatever gets them to GET IT! Well that works for me. When someone just shows me a clip and has never tried to explain it while actually trying to teach it, it comes through loud and clear. I have found using a piece of rope and a $7 dollar hammer gets them started on how to use a $300 to $400 dollar bat.
I now have 3 inches of snow to clear...later.

Howard

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
I have found using a piece of rope and a $7 dollar hammer gets them started on how to use a $300 to $400 dollar bat.
I now have 3 inches of snow to clear...later.
Howard

The use of constraints and implements to get them to "feel" what you are trying to teach and or force them to move the way you want them to is a big deal. First I like the instructor (often the parent) to understand the goal. Then it's time to figure out how to help the hitter understand and then feel what you want. Non reality based cues and all manner of constraints can be useful in that process. At the end of all that, I DO want the hitter to understand reality vs cues.

I know you know all that. As often, I'm writing with the parent in mind that I was 15 years ago.

BLB

May 19, 2008
MTS

Our one handed bats are simply schedule 80 PVC (gray verses white) and we put a wood plug 14.5 inches (1.75 inches long) from the knob of the bat and screw it in place.

Howard

I don't understand the 14.5 inches and the 1.75 inches and the setup in general. Could you explain this differently? Thanks

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I don't understand the 14.5 inches and the 1.75 inches and the setup in general. Could you explain this differently? Thanks

BLB

The one hand gray PVC sticks were made and designed by me based on the kids actually using it. For example a kid using a 33 inch long bat has a 33 inch long PVC stick. INSIDE the PVC stick there is wooden plug located 14.5 inches up from the knob of the bat. Then we pour 3 ounces of number 9 bird shot from the top and cap it and it has a bat grip. When the hitter swings the MOI (moment of inertia) moves the bird shot allowing it to gradually slide towards the end of the bat from centripetal force and the bat practicality swings it self. The reason 14.5 inches was selected was that is what 40 kids felt like was, "This feels real coach!" Several coaches ask me to come up with an alternative to using the Tee ball bats and the Schutt short bat because they think it promotes wrist rolling and the actual sweet part of the bat is reduced considerably or is too close to the handle.Choking up on the game bat also effects how the bat is gripped and it feels different than a game swing so we are trying to keep it as real as possible in practice. Because most hitters especially the female hitters have weak wrists we do not encourage using their game bat because they can not control the weight of the bat accurately or safely. By using the the same length of their game bat with a weight (3 ounces) we determined would still give them a feeling of actually being able to feel bat lag and wrist movements however at a reduced weight so it would feel real while hitting tennis balls. This is done with the back hand first and we make a fist with the lead hand and only touch it to the bat so we feel how far back we separate each time. This is another issue as some practice one hand drills by exaggerating the hand movements that would never be used in an actual swing. When doing the lead hand we touch the back hand in the same manner to keep the bat under control as to movements. We use these bats at clinics and getting the hitters to understand what each hand does is made much simpler. We have used them for about 5 years now and the feed back has been very positive. As I have explained before we have target areas on the net and when doing the PVC one hand drills they can hit the exact center of the net and know they have bat control while actually using their normal stride and swing. If the front side is opening usually the shoulder, we stand belly button facing the hitter with a tennis ball on the tee and stretch out our left hand and the hitter RH stretches out their lead hand and lays it into our hand, My hand is palm up and theirs is palm down. We do not hold or clasp the hands just simply lay the hands on top of each other. They swing and if the front shoulder opens their hand pulls away from mine so something opened! Another good visual and no we have never been hit. All balls are being hit up the middle. For my stronger kids I increase the weight of the bird shot. The Snap bat weight moves too quickly in my mind and does not feel real when you use it. The consistency of the mass using the bird shot was determined after trying, BB's, sand, glass and metal shot peen media as the best source of material to use.

The lead hand drills gives immediate feed back, as you either hit the target or you do not, and the extension is almost impossible not to feel as once the wrist is released it (the bat) will go forward and up and over the shoulder however with much less weight and strain on the shoulder.

Thanks Howard

BLB

May 19, 2008
Thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail. As always, your contribution to this forum is greatly appreciated.

BLB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild