First taste of southern softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There are so many better places to eat than the Varsity! This tournament is very close to where I live. Mount Tabor is my "home" park. We'll be otherwise occupied this weekend (with tournaments not so close to me, sadly) or we'd come watch this one. I hope the rain stays away! Tabor in particular has terrible drainage (Burnt Hickory is better - it's a gorgeous park, too).

The Varsity is not just about the food, it is an Atlanta institution! I personally recommend the #1 - two chili dogs, onion rings and a frosted orange (taste like the orange push up ice cream we had as kids).

The Varsity :: What'll ya have!

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I've had that happen in AL, no coolers or outside food. I haven't run into it here in GA yet. Hopefully I won't anytime soon. We always bring a cooler.

We play in Georgia a lot and we have never had an issue with a cooler. I have only seen it a couple of times in Alabama in USSSA tourneys.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
Traveling to Georgia to play in a tournament is poor form. Sure you're virtually guaranteed to run rule every team and yes you'll get a trophy, but will your girls really learn anything playing against such inferior competition? I think not.

Wow that is a pretty rude comment.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I did my basic training in South Carolina, coming from the Northwest we'd never even heard of a heat index - but you learn about it real quick!!! "Fort Jackson where it's 104 degrees in the shade and humidity that will choke the life out of you" I think there was a shirt that said something like that. Followed up by something about fire ants . . .

Did mine there at Sweet Jackson. Was lucky and was there in November and December of 1993, so no heat and no fire ants. Uniform Company 2/13 INF. Gets surprisingly cold down there.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I did my basic there during the months of October and November. During the same 9 weeks I experienced being the hottest and the coldest I've ever been. I live in central Georgia now and always remember that heat with flashbacks to Victory Tower.

Good old Victory Tower lol....I am deathly afraid of heights so that was def my worst week of basic training. Anyone remember "Victory Hill?" Two miles of running straight up hill is a great way to start a morning at 0530!!!

Jun 7, 2015

My thoughts exactly. I went to quote it and thanked it instead accidentally. Unfortunately you can't unthank because if I could, I would. There is some serious competition stemming from my home state, even if it is centralized to certain areas (Buford, Savannah metropolitan, Atlanta, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
My thoughts exactly. I went to quote it and thanked it instead accidentally. Unfortunately you can't unthank because if I could, I would. There is some serious competition stemming from my home state, even if it is centralized to certain areas (Buford, Savannah metropolitan, Atlanta, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing. Even if it were true, which I don't think it is, the comment was pretty rude.

Sep 18, 2011

Sorry - I see you're pretty new here so you must not have gotten the joke. We do a little good natured regional smack talk here, all in good fun. I have several DFP friends from GA and was giving them the needle a bit. Thought it would be clear that it was an obvious joke because CLEARLY they can play some serious ball in GA. In any event, good luck to your team and let us know how it goes.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sorry - I see you're pretty new here so you must not have gotten the joke. We do a little good natured regional smack talk here, all in good fun. I have several DFP friends from GA and was giving them the needle a bit. Thought it would be clear that it was an obvious joke because CLEARLY they can play some serious ball in GA. In any event, good luck to your team and let us know how it goes.

I was trying to ignore your post since I still owe you $10......LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298