First taste of southern softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2015
If you're daughter is wearing the uniform I think she is wearing you have nothing to worry about. Also, up in the Northeast I now you have played in the worst hazy, hot and humid conditions you will ever face, so you're more than physically and mentally prepared for any type of playing conditions. Hot, cold and everything in between I know you've seen and played in it all. Enjoy the weekend.

Jun 18, 2013
Seriously, our girls live in this heat and humidity and they get zapped by it. Playing a game in it is one thing, but being in it from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM with the heat never breaking will knock anybody flat. Don't underestimate it. Bring water, cold fruits, frog togs, pickles, anything you can think of that will help cool off and rehydrate through the day and any portable shade that you have.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Seriously, our girls live in this heat and humidity and they get zapped by it. Playing a game in it is one thing, but being in it from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM with the heat never breaking will knock anybody flat. Don't underestimate it. Bring water, cold fruits, frog togs, pickles, anything you can think of that will help cool off and rehydrate through the day and any portable shade that you have.

I slice oranges and put them into a zip lock bag and freeze them overnight. Helps keep my cooler cold and the kids love them as snacks.

Jun 12, 2015
That's a good idea. I always bring lots of fruit, which is pretty much all my kid will eat at tournaments anyway.

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
I did my basic training in South Carolina, coming from the Northwest we'd never even heard of a heat index - but you learn about it real quick!!! "Fort Jackson where it's 104 degrees in the shade and humidity that will choke the life out of you" I think there was a shirt that said something like that. Followed up by something about fire ants . . .

I did my basic there during the months of October and November. During the same 9 weeks I experienced being the hottest and the coldest I've ever been. I live in central Georgia now and always remember that heat with flashbacks to Victory Tower.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I grew up in Arkansas. There are several types of food in the south:

BBQ. Every state in the south claims to have the best BBQ in the US. They are all correct. Enjoy. This may include pulled pork, ribs, whatever, often with a special secret BBQ sauce handed down from generation to generation. I had a friend in the Ozarks who, along with his brothers, had inherited the rights to his family's recipe.

Smoked ham. Every state in the south claims to have the best smoked ham in the US. Hey, I used to get smoked ham from the Ozark Mountain Smokehouse. Back when Clinton was president, he would stock up at the Ozark Mountain Smokehouse whenever he was in town.

Fried food. This includes just about every type of food imaginable, veggies, mammals, birds, reptiles or fish. What, you've never had fried alligator, fried catfish, fried okra or hush puppies? You haven't lived. Sometimes out in the boonies you can get very interesting fried food. Maybe you don't want to know.

Moonshine. Only found in certain areas of the south, where there are dry counties. One of my friends once had some great moonshine at a country music concert, made by a deputy sheriff in a dry county.

Watermelon. Nothing cools down the kids better on a hot day. Grownups cool down with beer, but you can get beer up north as well. It's hotter down south, so it takes more beer to cool down.

For breakfast, sometimes you will get some strange white concoction you have never seen before. They call it "grits". Yes, it is edible.

If you avoid cardiac arrest, you can eat like a king. Or, a president. Just remember Bill Clinton almost died from eating too much southern food.

Jun 7, 2015
If you've got some down time, Atlanta is only an hour from Dallas. Take your girls to some of the sights. Turner Field won't be around much longer, World of Coke is always cool, the aquarium is huge, and if you don't know what the King and Queen of Atlanta are, at least drive your girls past them. Remember, it's pronounced At-lanna! No t at the end! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 18, 2011
Traveling to Georgia to play in a tournament is poor form. Sure you're virtually guaranteed to run rule every team and yes you'll get a trophy, but will your girls really learn anything playing against such inferior competition? I think not.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez