fingernail question.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2011
My dd... 14 yo freshman has taken to blowing out her fingernail on her pitching hand index finger while throwing riseballs. some have said this is common and to reinforce the nail with nail hardener and to use fake glue on nails trimmed down to normal to add strenght to the nail. Is this legal?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Mine does the same thing. She just keeps her nails short. When her nail start cutting into her hand, it's time for a trim.

If she wants "pretty nails" for a dance or something, she uses the glue on type.

Feb 17, 2011
Yeah i agree they have to be as short as possible, but even at that her nail splits about an eight of an inch from the thumb side and it looks like a big hangnail sticking out. I just want to make sure the application of a fake nail for reinforcement would not be illegal. Many others have said it is done but just not talked about.

Oct 22, 2009
I'm sure it would be considered illegal if the umpire knew about it. I doubt he would know otherwise unless someone brought it to his attention.

Jul 26, 2010
It's easier to keep the nail short, file it daily, especially the edge where the nail meets the finger. . . naturally this is a sharp angle, you want to make sure she rounds it off.

One thing that helps is to make sure she's always holding a softball with her rise/curve grip when she's watching TV. She can take a break during commercials. The more she holds that ball, the stronger her fingers/nails/skin will be.

Keep superglue in her bag, this makes a great "artificial skin", it's best used BEFORE she splits her skin, and she'll need to reapply it every few innings. Don't use it for practices, but if she's going to have to pitch 3 games in a row on a Sunday, it's handy to have.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wore acrylic nails for probably 15 years. I can't tell you the number of times those nails saved my real nail bed from getting whacked.

But, they are expensive at some places. You get them put on and then you go back in 2 weeks for a fill. So, it is at least $50.00 a month. My beautician just showed me this new product an hour ago. It also lasts 2 weeks and I guess you can do this yourself. But, I don't know any more about it.

Introducing the New CND Shellac System | M Salon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1