Pitching instructor won’t allow dd coach to attend lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
I’m wondering if this is common or if I am making an unreasonable request?

Here is the back story: my dd used to pitch when she was in 10u and 12u. She stopped because she just didn’t have the emotional capacity to handle the pressure that position was placing on her. Fast forward 2.5 years and now she 14 playing 16u and has grown these incredibly long legs and is just tall and strong. We decided to try pitching again because some team dynamics dictated she at least try and lo and behold, it is like she never stopped. She has better mechanic now than she ever did when she was younger.

Anyway, to begin this exploration we scheduled an appointment with a local Tincher certified pitching instructor. The first lesson went well and was basically just to get her comfortable with throwing again and to see what the PI thought of her potential. The PI does do a few things different than she ever learned in the past, like keep the back foot flat on the floor and don’t bend forward before push off. Then we go to practice at her team facility and her coach shows up to practice with her and he is questioning her on why she was doing things the way this PI instructed her. He went on to having her raise her back foot, transfer weight and bend a bit at the waist before push off.

So I message the PI to set up another lesson because everyone is very positive about her potential and she honestly looks good. I tell the PI I want her coach to attend because of the small differences in lower body philosophies and how I want everyone on the same page especially since her TB coach will be working with her the most. He messages back and says he can’t allow the coach at the lesson.

So back to my original question after this long story, is that normal?

Sep 29, 2014
I do get it, the PI doesn't want some kind of power trip or have to explain himself to the HC as to why he is doing things, the PI doesn't go manage games and the HC doesn't need to butt into pitching lessons.

Now on the flip side why wouldn't you want both coaches to be on the same page so the HC could actually reinforce what the PI wanted to do and better call pitches etc.

Maybe see if the PI and HC could get together without DD present just to go over stuff so if there is some kind of disagreement the pitcher doesn't hear it.

In the end though if you are going to PAY MONEY for the PI to work with your DD on pitching you shouldn't want your HC getting in the way of that...but one would hope people could just get along better....maybe this PI has dealt with the HC before and it didn't go well ?

Aug 6, 2013
I do get it, the PI doesn't want some kind of power trip or have to explain himself to the HC as to why he is doing things, the PI doesn't go manage games and the HC doesn't need to butt into pitching lessons.

Now on the flip side why wouldn't you want both coaches to be on the same page so the HC could actually reinforce what the PI wanted to do and better call pitches etc.

Maybe see if the PI and HC could get together without DD present just to go over stuff so if there is some kind of disagreement the pitcher doesn't hear it.

In the end though if you are going to PAY MONEY for the PI to work with your DD on pitching you shouldn't want your HC getting in the way of that...but one would hope people could just get along better....maybe this PI has dealt with the HC before and it didn't go well ?

One other detail to mention - when I originally ask the PI when we could schedule another lesson he said he doesn’t do weekly lessons because that makes DD too “dependent” on him. Well, I need her dependent on learning from someone and I ain’t the lady, lol. That’s another reason I want her TB coach to attend. He will be the guy to work with her the most other than me.

I like the PI. I like his personality and so does dd. He is fairly close to our house which is also nice in a large metro where I already drive too much to get to and from work. I really need dd to work with someone more often than every 3 weeks. Ugh

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I am of the opinion (based on things I have heard from people who went to Tincher instructors) that this is just a intellectual property thing. They don't want anyone else learning what they paid for and were certified to do. So it is a conflict of interest in their ability to continue to charge you. If the HC learns the things the Tincher Instructor is teaching, no need for the Tincher Instructor.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Basic response.

*Open communication leads
to everyone learning!

Find another instructor who wants everyone to grow!

Simply no reason AT ALL to not have a guest at a lesson!
Especially the coach who can be there to learn AND support.
( Video can be taken too, that can go anywhere!!)

Any other reasons to not be inclusive is weak ego based junk that doesnt need further description.

Everyone is welcome to BE a guest to watch all lessons i teach. Always.... "ALWAYS appreciate coaches who show up". ALWAYS welcomed to asked questions and chat softball.

To Parent of post nikkilugi,
Good for you for being a thinking parent to pay attention to this scenario.
Good you thought to bring coach. Good your coach took interest. !!!
Find another instructor!
Ps. No weekly lessons offered for instruction is odd.

Sep 29, 2014
Unfortunately good quality instructors are hard to find, especially given you said you and your DD both liked them. The every three weeks thing is a little troubling since she is trying to get back into pitching. I might just ask for every two weeks for a while then also if it is working for you DDr just tell the coach we are going with the direction from our PI so she can get back on track. It does sound like there is some "style" things the PI wants taught as "must haves" but again if you are paying them to teach you you have to be willing to learn.

May 20, 2016
As others have suggested i'd say have the PI talk to the coach on the phone. Could be a multitude or reasons they don't want the coach around, could be bad blood from the past or something along those lines.

Apr 11, 2016
DD goes to a Tincher coach. They don't want the coach there because it's their intellectual property, so they can't have an outsider there. Secondly, I think HC should back off. Every coach teaches differently (we just moved so DD had another pitching coach before.) HC must trust what the PI is teaching. He cannot correct or question what your daughter is learning. Unless he is her pitching coach, he should back off and let your daughter work on the new skills she is learning.

As far as weekly lessons, may be a preference of the coach. My DD's Tincher coach gives them weekly lessons, but they are group lessons. When we switch to private lessons (probably when DD is 14U), then we may pay for a lesson every 2 weeks. It's not cheap, plus the things they teach and homework/drills they give definitely can last 2 weeks. DD was taking lessons every other week previously also. With private lessons every other week, 3x personal practices, plus team practices, it was more than enough pitching for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802