pitching fingers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2009
I'm running into a problem with one of my pitchers and her fingers. When she pitches, the skin on her index and middle finger begin to rip off. Its more on the inside of her index finger at the top pad of it. Last year you could see the individual layers of skin. She is my number one pitcher this and last year and throws four games a week during the season along with practice. She also throws for her travel ball team in the summer but throwing practice isn't as much as it is in the season. She is 16 and this is her third year throwing seriously. I'm not sure if this happens or has happened to others but I haven't come across another pitcher that this happens to like this. I don't think its not from throwing enough but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have any ideas to get rid of this, prevent or cure it? We ended up putting finger nail glue on it to prevent more ripping when she pitched.

Could she be throwing the ball wrong off her hand/fingers? or gripping too hard? Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I can't tell you about your pitcher but my own 14YO DD is having the same issue this spring and it is due to 2 things in combination:
1) An injury in early December so she didn't practice at all for 10 weeks
2) She is learning to put more spin on ball so there is much more friction on the tips of her fingers.

The spots on her fingers are now beginning to callouse.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Gymnasts hold wet tea bags in their hands to help with the 'rips' caused by uneven bars. It might help with pain, although my daughter's coach swears that it helps the skin heal faster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06