Eye opening experience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
Well, yes and no...

The "inconvenient truth" is that the parents turn the girls into stars by doing lots and lots of one-on-one practicing.

So true. You don't get better practicing once or twice a week in a group setting than you do with multiple one-on-one sessions during the week.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I did not read all of the responses in this thread, so I apologize if I am repeating answers others have posted. Here is my $0.02....

1) 85% of college recruiting will occur in TB, 10% will be batting/pitching/position coaches, 5% will be HS - and that is being generous.
2) Most HS coaches do not pay attention to their freshman teams.
3) There is not a rec ball player on our HS varsity squad, and I doubt many good HS teams have rec players who start.
4) Upper class-men will get preferential treatment vs. under class-men.
5) If your DD is a freshman realize that it is a 4 year process and just work hard to get better and the playing time will come.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Well, yes and no...

The "inconvenient truth" is that the parents turn the girls into stars by doing lots and lots of one-on-one practicing.

I wholeheartedly agree at the younger ages. As they get older though I'd change that to parents turn the girls into stars by providing lots and lots of opportunities for one on one practicing Most parents, including me, lack the skill and knowledge and they're better off with qualified instructors.

Apr 1, 2010
I wholeheartedly agree at the younger ages. As they get older though I'd change that to parents turn the girls into stars by providing lots and lots of opportunities for one on one practicing Most parents, including me, lack the skill and knowledge and they're better off with qualified instructors.

I agree. Back when she was around 7-9, my daughter became one of the star rec players because I simply went out into the yard and practiced with her several evenings a week. It's one of the things that really irks me about the drop-off parents who won't spend any time helping their daughters learn. When they're young, you don't need much skill at all to help them, and believe me, I'm not very good at all! Sometimes I miss playing catch with DD and then I remember how scary and dangerous that is now, and I get over it. ;-)

Dec 20, 2012
I just looked at the commits from the top seven or so TB programs in my area, and the list is dismal; yes although I personally love the Universities of [insert town], the mid-majors, and all those small Catholic colleges, but that is the gist of what I found. I even went to one team a state over with two supposed verbals to the big D1 in my state back a few years (to see if that panned out). Neither of those young ladies actually played at said school, unless you count the club team.

So I am glad you all live in places where the TB team gets you recruited, like Cali or FLA. I have talked to the families of five D1 players in my area. Only one got her spot from TB, three got it from going to camps, and the last walked on.

You don't have to be in CA or FL for TB to pay off. Know plenty of so so TB teams with multiple D1 recruits. Some already have connections with coaches. My dd's team had a dad step up and take on the roll as recruiting coord. He was relentless for the kids and parents that also put in the work. From basically a no name team to 6 D1 recruits, 2 for top 5 programs. All but 1 will play some level of college ball. But it you get out what you put in.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...Only one got her spot from TB, three got it from going to camps, and the last walked on.

Are you saying that the 4 players had no participation in travel ball? They just decided to go to camps and did a walk on tryout without playing any travel ball? Pardon my skepticism but this scenario is unlikely with regard to 1 player and even more so with 4 players. To a casual observer it might sound like someone playing fast and loose with the facts to advance an agenda.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00