Feedback On DD Swing--14 YO.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
It's been a while since I last posted a video of DD's swing. Here she is from last night practice. Coach is pitching to her. I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions on where to improve. Thanks in advance. I'll keep an eye on this and offer any other info you guys might want to know. She's 14 yo, 5'2" and about 115 lbs. Swings either a 32/22 cf6 Insane, or new to her, 2014 Xeno 32/23.

[video=youtube_share;4XDWrZxp0xQ]http://youtu.be/4XDWrZxp0xQ[/video]

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
CPSBDad,

I bet you have got a pretty good player there. but, since you asked here is what I see.

10 total pitches:

1. No Swing
2. No coil/spins
3.spinning
4.spinning upper dominant
5.spinning upper dominant
6. Better getting off backside
7. No swing
8. spins
9. Little better syncing getting off backside with swing
10.Little better syncing getting off backside with swing

She probably has some good success BUT if she were one I had on my team I would have a little stride in there. Not just a stride but a little coil/stretch type move described below.

1 Hip/knee inward turn while the hands go back
2. keep hands back while she starts the hips with a little stride

Look at almost all of the model swings on this site. There is some forward movement while the hands go/stay back.

I think it will help a lot. I coach a player that just moved up to 14's. About 5'-4" and 140ish. Plenty of power but her backside was kind of locked up and she would spin out on the back leg until recently when she got the move I described above.

Sep 18, 2013
She probably has some good success BUT if she were one I had on my team I would have a little stride in there. Not just a stride but a little coil/stretch type move described below.

1 Hip/knee inward turn while the hands go back
2. keep hands back while she starts the hips with a little stride

Look at almost all of the model swings on this site. There is some forward movement while the hands go/stay back.

I think it will help a lot. I coach a player that just moved up to 14's. About 5'-4" and 140ish. Plenty of power but her backside was kind of locked up and she would spin out on the back leg until recently when she got the move I described above.

I agree with this. It looks like weight and hands go back, pause, and then everything goes forward at the same time. This is causing her to be a little steep in her bat plane. It looks like she squares a couple of those balls up but because she is so steep she hits them straight into the ground.

I would like to see a little more rhythm so that there is not so much stopping and starting and like lhowser said some more separation (body going forward hands staying back). A good cue is to tell her that her hands can't go back until her head goes forward.

I think these two things will allow her swing to be a little more dynamic and will flatten out her bat plane to create a little more margin of error.

Oct 25, 2009
She also looks like she's been hitting a LOT off of a tee that was set up way too far towards the pitcher. And now she is reaching, no connection.

Jun 21, 2010
I appreciate the feedback. I'll address those points suggested to her and we will work on them in our spare time. Regarding the T work. She does several different positions. Outside pitch near rear of plate. Inside, out front of the plate. We draw a diagonal line from both extremes and place the T along that line and work on it. Sometimes low, sometimes higher.

Looking at some video slowed down I see what you mean by spinning ( lhowser ). Looks like hips and arms go at the same time, not arms following hips.

Chris@Capacity, can you describe this a little clearer: "A good cue is to tell her that her hands can't go back until her head goes forward." Good cues is exactly what I think we need to get this swing better.

Just so you guys know, I do spend a lot of time looking at the model swings. I spend a lot of time reading other threads and comments on MLB swings. Translating all that with good cues would go a long way I think.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2013
Chris@Capacity, can you describe this a little clearer: "A good cue is to tell her that her hands can't go back until her head goes forward." Good cues is exactly what I think we need to get this swing better.

Thanks!

Sure, the cue I am referring to is used to help create separation which helps get the hips to lead the swing. In it's simplest terms, separation is the hands working away from the center of mass (body). But in order to give the hips a chance to get out front, the body (or the head) needs to be going forward while the hands go back. When your daughter "loads" into her back leg (head goes back) her hands go back as well. So, when she goes forward and starts her weight transfer, her hands don't have anywhere to go but forward and that momentum allows them race to the front.

In reality, the hands don't really move in space but because the body (head) goes forward and the hands stay back, separation gets created. Hope that makes sense!

Chris

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Sure, the cue I am referring to is used to help create separation which helps get the hips to lead the swing. In it's simplest terms, separation is the hands working away from the center of mass (body). But in order to give the hips a chance to get out front, the body (or the head) needs to be going forward while the hands go back. When your daughter "loads" into her back leg (head goes back) her hands go back as well. So, when she goes forward and starts her weight transfer, her hands don't have anywhere to go but forward and that momentum allows them race to the front.

In reality, the hands don't really move in space but because the body (head) goes forward and the hands stay back, separation gets created. Hope that makes sense!

Chris

Hi Cris, welcome, and thanks for being here, and attempting to help us.

Some girls have there hands go to far back, to the point of arm bar, and cannot recover.

So if they start from a good hand set, the hands in a good position, the hands end up ends up at the launch position, in a bad position, with arm bar.

When working with the girls, would it be ok, to have them start with the bat say, right next, along side of their face, then move the bat to a good elbow up position? pull the bow?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

Some girls have there hands go to far back, to the point of arm bar, and cannot recover.

So if they start from a good hand set, the hands in a good position, the hands end up ends up at the launch position, in a bad position, with arm bar.

When working with the girls, would it be ok, to have them start with the bat say, right next, along side of their face, then move the bat to a good elbow up position? pull the bow?

Try "rock the U."

Sep 18, 2013

Thanks for the warm welcome! Happy to be here!

Bat placement in their set up is largely a style thing, but over the back shoulder and along side of their head is a good starting point. The "pull the bow" cue sometimes scares me because when I hear it I imagine the hitter starting with the elbow up and trying to maintain that elbow position all the way to toe touch. In my experience, that can be difficult to do because the elbow up position puts the arm close to the max range of motion in the shoulder joint. This leads to a lot of hitters to allow the elbow to drop too early (before toe touch). This is not to say that it can't be done, just that it's more difficult. I like to have the back elbow in a comfortable, neutral position. Halfway between elbow up and against the ribs is a good starting point. Then it needs to be working up all the way until toe touch then it begins to chase the rear hip. I always tell our younger hitters "elbow needs to work up then work down and chase".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA