Feedback on daughter's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
I have nothing useful to add, but watching her go after the ball gets me pumped up for spring.
Love the aggression.

Dec 11, 2010
I completely agree with not messing with that too much. Too much is right with that swing to suffer the unintended consequences of getting in her head and messing with it. Baby steps.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Her swing is typical, but 'typical' kids have bad swings.

erase6.JPG

Here she is at toe touch.

During the stride, she
1. opened her hips from the start
2. she strides with her front leg, not the back (notice her back knee is still very bent and her head appears as if still near vertical with her back leg)
3. Her shoulders are 'upside down' - front shoulder up vs. down or flat.

The instant one rolls over the front knee and or opens the hips, you begin the swing. You should not BEGIN the swing until toe touch.

The fix is easy. Do dry drills with no bat in a mirror.
1. Go from stance to toe touch, over and over.
2. Coil the hips and shoulders INWARD to 45 degrees, holding until toe touch. Exaggerate the angle during practice.
3. Stride forward until the back leg almost fully straightens. (maybe another 2-3 inches)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I've heard Latta rail against the backshift but haven't paid close enough attention to Wallenbrock I guess. I am not a huge fan of the backshift either but I am less of a fan of arguments with the DD..not going to choose to die on that hill.

yeah. Move from the middle, the back shift goes away. Try and keep the head in front of the bb while creating stretch. That’s how I do. Ommv.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Try and keep the head in front of the bb while creating stretch.

Head position in relation to the rear hip is something I've been looking at a lot recently. What I'm seeing in a lot of hitters isn't matching up with what you're saying.

These 3 frame sets are toe touch/launch/contact...
1579278999223.png 1579279066318.png 1579279144678.png

1579279199535.png 1579279230436.png 1579279281502.png

At toe touch, the head above the belly button seems pretty typical. Instructing a hitter to have their head in front of the belly button at this point is likely to lead to a shift-then-swing movement pattern (IMO).

One thing that really jumped out at me with the hitters I looked at (more than just these) is how all of them have their head in line with their rear hip at launch.

Sep 29, 2014
Her swing is typical, but 'typical' kids have bad swings.

View attachment 16090

Here she is at toe touch.

During the stride, she
1. opened her hips from the start
2. she strides with her front leg, not the back (notice her back knee is still very bent and her head appears as if still near vertical with her back leg)
3. Her shoulders are 'upside down' - front shoulder up vs. down or flat.

The instant one rolls over the front knee and or opens the hips, you begin the swing. You should not BEGIN the swing until toe touch.

The fix is easy. Do dry drills with no bat in a mirror.
1. Go from stance to toe touch, over and over.
2. Coil the hips and shoulders INWARD to 45 degrees, holding until toe touch. Exaggerate the angle during practice.
3. Stride forward until the back leg almost fully straightens. (maybe another 2-3 inches)
Gotta explain this a little better because you can't mean straight at the knee. If you mean as I look from the side view the legs forming a V without the knee out of place fine; now as I look from the back the knee will be flexed. If the leg is straight at toe touch exactly how are you going to apply pressure on your instep to start your swing? Hopefully we are talking about the same thing and something just got lost in translation. Also don't want a bad cue taught that could be misunderstood

As far as shoulders, at toe touch I don't really want that classic upwards angle just yet I should be at my farthest reach back point and hands shoulder level to get upward angle at that point fear would be either dipping shoulder or dropping hand both of which we don't want at this point

Thing I would focus on for now is the coil and keeping back knee inside her stance if it is drifting out over back foot, which again nice clear video from straight side view before I run out and jump on that

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Head position in relation to the rear hip is something I've been looking at a lot recently. What I'm seeing in a lot of hitters isn't matching up with what you're saying.

These 3 frame sets are toe touch/launch/contact...
View attachment 16091 View attachment 16092 View attachment 16093

View attachment 16094 View attachment 16095 View attachment 16096

At toe touch, the head above the belly button seems pretty typical. Instructing a hitter to have their head in front of the belly button at this point is likely to lead to a shift-then-swing movement pattern (IMO).

One thing that really jumped out at me with the hitters I looked at (more than just these) is how all of them have their head in line with their rear hip at launch.

Not the same time and not the same stretch. During ‘gather’ the head should stay in front of the bb always. That loads the posterior before going forward. Some call it head to toe stretch.

Papi stretches twice before the pause . Concentric and eccentric.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
NLtqnDD.gif

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif
Above is an example of coiling hips AND shoulders inward to 45 degrees as you go from stance to toe touch.

"Gotta explain this a little better because you can't mean straight at the knee. If you mean as I look from the side view the legs forming a V without the knee out of place fine; now as I look from the back the knee will be flexed. If the leg is straight at toe touch exactly how are you going to apply pressure "

(Almost) All MLB hitters (and pitchers and golfers and...) stride with the back leg until it is almost fully extended (see hitters at toe touch below - note that the knee is slightly more bent from the catcher view.). (If you think about the math/physics/leverage, you realize that the knee can rotate in a phenominally tighter radius than if the leg/knee is still bent.) Rotating the front and rear knees is the key to rotating the hips.

batters-at-toetouch.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog