Feedback on daughter's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2020
I'm looking for some feedback on my daughter's stance and swing. My daughter turned 13 a couple of months ago and in a discussion with her coaches about their expectations for her this upcoming season, one coach said he wanted her to "own" her progression in hitting. He then went on to recommend an online service (don't remember which one) that would evaluate her swing - for a price of $20/mo. I researched the website and found this forum and a recommendation of bypassing the paid website and coming here instead. Thank you in advance for any feedback and suggestions.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Looks pretty damn good to me. She seems to have the intention of doing damage. Which may seem like it should be a given but it is not with many hitters. Like how she went after that low pitch. And I like that when she rolled over that one she knew she made a mistake. Tells me she is aware and she wants to improve.

One thing I would tighten up would be he back knee movement. I don't mind her squatting into her load (maybe a timing mechanism) but it looks as though her knee shifts over her back foot. Keep the knee inside the rear foot. She will be a little more connected and a little quicker to the ball. You may experiment with quieting the squatting down too. Some may say she is a little to much "all back all forward".

I like the coach wanting her to own her swing. She should understand it. But the on-line recommendation i don't get. What's he for?? LOL It would be interesting to know which site he recommends.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Looks good. Like RH said she may be getting a bit too far over her back foot on her gather and it is causing her to be a little
bit too "uphill" when she launches. That said I am not sure if I would tinker too much right now.

Other than that i think maybe the HC needed to go the bullpen to relieve the BP thrower for a spell ;)

Feb 15, 2017
Agree with the other comments and I would add to watch her head. I would say her head tilt is probably a little more than ideal. At first I thought it was normal through the ball transition, however notice she does it on the high pitch as well. Probably tied to shoulder tilt trying to achieve launch angle.

I’ve always been a “head-still, eyes fairly level” believer. We put a catchers mitt on DDs head when she starts getting a little wonky. With her - the more her head moves up and down or tilts the less solid contact she makes....alot of times to the point of a no contact hitting slump.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wow - so many good things happening here!! As others have said, a slight adjustment in her rear leg on her load (keep the knee inside a little more) will tighten things up a little more. She also has some room for a little more coil into her rear hip. I love her early bat speed (barrel blur behind the shoulder). She also does a good job of the swing shifting her weight, rather than shifting forward first. I don't see an all-back/all-forward issue.

Does she swing with the same violence in games? I would love to see some game video, if you have it. I'm betting she is one of the best hitters on her team.

Sep 29, 2014
Purposely didn't look at other posters so I wouldn't be bias sorry if I'm repeating things already said.

Very first impression without any analysis is I love her aggression I wish every player attacked the ball like that....also let her know even in BP she doesn't have to swing at everything, she should expand the zone a little but no need to swing at balls on the ground just my opinion but just develops bad habits.

The angle is a little out front but at toe touch from what I can see she looks pretty good.

One thing I think she could benefit from is turning the barrel a little better even though it is slight I think she is a little more pushy and knob to kinda draggy versus a true turn the barrel, but I'm gonna be honest from this angle and with the camera just a little blurry I'm not prepared to pass any judgement that I would make any huge changes in her swing since it looks pretty good, lots to like.

I'm gonna link a couple videos and see what you and/or others think...I'll also comment on others opinions.

Sep 29, 2014
Looks good to me. I don't know if its the camera angle or me just seeing things, does she have a little bit of elbow drag?
^^^^ this is why I recommended the videos and made the TTB, pushy, draggy comment I kinda could not put my finger on it but something is off just ever so slightly. I think the complete side angle will help especially in seeing if/how bad the back leg issue is and also something completely in focus, again she is doing sooooo much right I would hesitate to make any swing adjustments without being 100% sure. How is her game performance? and you will get at least $20 worth of advice here....and probably just as good but they are going to want a clearer picture and better angle too.

Oct 2, 2017
Purposely didn't look at other posters so I wouldn't be bias sorry if I'm repeating things already said.

Very first impression without any analysis is I love her aggression I wish every player attacked the ball like that....also let her know even in BP she doesn't have to swing at everything, she should expand the zone a little but no need to swing at balls on the ground just my opinion but just develops bad habits.

The angle is a little out front but at toe touch from what I can see she looks pretty good.

One thing I think she could benefit from is turning the barrel a little better even though it is slight I think she is a little more pushy and knob to kinda draggy versus a true turn the barrel, but I'm gonna be honest from this angle and with the camera just a little blurry I'm not prepared to pass any judgement that I would make any huge changes in her swing since it looks pretty good, lots to like.

I'm gonna link a couple videos and see what you and/or others think...I'll also comment on others opinions.

Thanks for the bottom TTB video. It clearly showed were my DD is. Don't want to hijack this thread, but the swing on the right in that video is where my DD is right now.

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks....but you can see how slight the difference is

To OP this is why I really wouldn't change anything without a really clear side view right now, a blurred off angle video just hard to tell.