Feedback on daughter's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
I'm looking for some feedback on my daughter's stance and swing. My daughter turned 13 a couple of months ago and in a discussion with her coaches about their expectations for her this upcoming season, one coach said he wanted her to "own" her progression in hitting. He then went on to recommend an online service (don't remember which one) that would evaluate her swing - for a price of $20/mo. I researched the website and found this forum and a recommendation of bypassing the paid website and coming here instead. Thank you in advance for any feedback and suggestions.

Good base to work from. She dips her right shoulder a little too much instead of moving forward towards the ball. May throw off her timing some and lead to her being late on faster pitches.
Would like to see her stand a little taller as they ball arrives and move forward as opposed to down then forward.

Dec 11, 2010
If this player showed up at my tryout she would have my attention with that swing and she would immediately be on my short list!

My advice isn’t about her mechanics.

I see this over and over with young players.

She is late being ready to hit. Part of it is because whoever Is throwing or feeding the machine is rushing her. Slow Down and let the kid hit for Pete’s sake.

The other part of the above comment that would lead to immediate, ”right now” improvement is taking some of the slop out of her swing right before she gets in her launch position.

Have her load in slow motion, “slower and earlier” and feel the stretching in her back that happens right before “go”. Talk to her about how since she has to get to that position to “go”, why not start her load earlier and slower and from a starting position closer to to go and cut out all the movement that keeps her from being “ready to hit” and keeps her from “being on time”.

Hope that makes sense.

Jun 8, 2016
She is late being ready to hit. Part of it is because whoever Is throwing or feeding the machine is rushing her. Slow Down and let the kid hit for Pete’s sake.
Not sure about this part WW as if you look closely the video is edited to only show the swings.

Dec 11, 2010
I did miss that!

Still seems like she isn’t ready to hit, yes/no? Also usually by now someone has come along and done a slomo clip, that would help my old eyes!

Jun 8, 2016
I did miss that!

Still seems like she isn’t ready to hit, yes/no?
She could slow down her gather/load a bit (hence possibly requiring her to start a bit earlier) but I have seen much worse. People always preach slow and early, and it is a very good concept, but really it should be "slow and early enough" as it depends on their style of gather, load, stride etc.
I think the biggest issue may be that she sort of overcooks the sagittal plane load. Maybe tone that down some to look more like Miggy below along with trying to not get over her back foot too much during her gather/load as was mentioned before.

That said, I am not sure I would screw around with too much right now. Maybe see how her movements develop through the summer and then go from there.

YsL52OW.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Op,

I see an upper body driven swing, with a loss of barrel control and a reach with the front foot. She does have good posture. But is out of balance. Hurts everything down the chain.

I would start with learning how to move from the middle. jmho. Good luck !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood