Ethics in the tryout season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think it's more important for coaches to have loyalty to their previous players than vice-versa.

As a coach, I want my players to be in a situation that's good for them. I don't have a problem with any family that chooses to look for something better, assuming that they don't jump to another team in the middle of the season without warning. (That's never happened.) I hope for loyalty, but I don't think I'm entitled to it.

Oct 10, 2011
"He seemed a little offended about the idea and said he placed a high value on loyalty. He really is a terrific and knowledgeable person and seems to do a good job with the organization."

We were told at the end of our season that we should stay because longevity in this organization is important.
We also found out yesterday that the HC and AC daughters had the most errors on the team in that order by the person that keeps the stats. I would have guessed that but it was nice to have proof:) Fortunately, they haven't been named coaches yet.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
I have talked to other coaches who were annoyed that my DD was trying out for other teams as well. I was told last year by a coach that he was really disappointed. He just assumed that if the girl tried out for his team, they really wanted to be there.

I can do a lot of research and still not get the vibe of the team until we meet the coach, players and have her work out with them.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have talked to other coaches who were annoyed that my DD was trying out for other teams as well. I was told last year by a coach that he was really disappointed. He just assumed that if the girl tried out for his team, they really wanted to be there.

I can do a lot of research and still not get the vibe of the team until we meet the coach, players and have her work out with them.
Did he have 11 kids only at his tryout? Or was he planning on cutting the kids that aren't a good fit? Isn't that the same as you were doing, trying out different teams to try to find the best fit?

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
chinamigarden, fairenough. The number of players have fluctuated for their tryouts. I believe they would cut loose a player that was not good enough. Thinking back, these have been the smaller, less well established programs.

I just thought it was odd that they would be grumpy about kids trying out for different teams and waiting till after the tryouts to make a decision.

Dec 4, 2010
Did he have 11 kids only at his tryout? Or was he planning on cutting the kids that aren't a good fit? Isn't that the same as you were doing, trying out different teams to try to find the best fit?

Its a tryout for everyone, coaches, players & teammates
By the way, generally you don't leave a team because you like it there.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
In my experience, I've found the Coaches are only grumpy when their best players are trying out for other teams. The bench player on the roster is always free to look for what is best for her! But seriously, it's called open tryouts for a reason. Everybody is a free agent. Why wouldn't you seek out the best situation for your daughter? If she is working hard, shouldn't you also work hard for her? Plus, in today's world, when is it too early to start thinking scholarships?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How do you tell a coach that you didn't choose without hurting the relationship with the coach?

The softball community is small, even in highly populated states, so that word gets around about parents and coaches that did not act in good faith.

Wow are you in for a rude awakening if your dd gets beaten out for a position. You thank the coach for what they have done. You move on. If the team was a perfect fit for what you needed, then you would not be out there looking. My dd played for a great man. The team broke up. They scrambled to try to find players but in the mean time, she attended tryouts for an outstanding program. We called and told him the truth. My dd has continued to hold the former coach in high regard, always runs over to him and gives him a hug and he knows he is welcomed in our house at any time.

Aug 19, 2011
"He seemed a little offended about the idea and said he placed a high value on loyalty. He really is a terrific and knowledgeable person and seems to do a good job with the organization."

We were told at the end of our season that we should stay because longevity in this organization is important.
We also found out yesterday that the HC and AC daughters had the most errors on the team in that order by the person that keeps the stats. I would have guessed that but it was nice to have proof:) Fortunately, they haven't been named coaches yet.

It's always a learning process in a new situation to figure out the difference between what people say and what they really mean. "You should stay because longevity in this organization is important" typically means "You should stay because we haven't found anybody better yet." Or, "You seem like the type who is susceptible to a guilt trip. Did we mention the commitment we showed your daughter, like letting her come to all the practices, and allowing her to learn by observing superior players in games?"

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What I have found over the years, is the higher the level of the TB team, the lower the loyalty - from both sides. There are a lot of low level B teams that have been together for years, while most A teams 'churn' at least 3-4 players a year. It is the nature of the beast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06