Ethics in the tryout season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
I was talking to a leader of a club travel organization (10U through 18U) in another state. We talked about the fact that many girls change organizations during the tryout season. He said he didn't like that parents shop their children to different teams. He seemed a little offended about the idea and said he placed a high value on loyalty. He really is a terrific and knowledgeable person and seems to do a good job with the organization.

I guess I understand his perspective. As the leader of an organization, it is time consuming and more difficult to have continuity when girls are changing teams. Not to mention with change there is risk.

From a parent's perspective, it seems to me it is prudent to go to several tryouts (or more if necessary) to have the best chance at the right situation - coaches, competitiveness, teammates, parents and where your child’s skills fit in with the team.

Is this a common feeling amongst club coaches? How should a parent ethically approach the tryout season?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Coaches want kids to have unending loyalty. The same coach will pick a brand new kid who is better over a kid who has been on his team for 4 years.

Aug 19, 2011
Coaches want kids to have unending loyalty. The same coach will pick a brand new kid who is better over a kid who has been on his team for 4 years.

Absolutely right. Coaches can do whatever they want because it's for the team, but if the kids don't come back for more they're selfish. The kids want the best opportunity, the coaches want the best players. Tryouts are to try to bring the two together. When tryouts come, the #1 pitcher probably won't be going anywhere. #3 and #4 might just take off and try to find a team that needs them to pitch. The girl who alternated left field and bench and never got the chance to practice an infield position might like to see if there's a team that needs a first baseman.

I think it's actually a parent's dream -- mine, anyway -- to find an organization that is home, that a kid can stay in until she's done with travel ball. The door has to swing both ways, though.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The girl who alternated left field and bench and never got the chance to practice an infield position might like to see if there's a team that needs a first baseman.

I think it's actually a parent's dream -- mine, anyway -- to find an organization that is home, that a kid can stay in until she's done with travel ball. The door has to swing both ways, though.

LOL, you must of played on DD's team. DD won't go back to daddy ball and insists I find a team with no Dads or moms coaching this year. This will be her 4 TB team. FWIW, we are always asked back but choose to move on.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
How do you tell a coach that you didn't choose without hurting the relationship with the coach?

The softball community is small, even in highly populated states, so that word gets around about parents and coaches that did not act in good faith.

Sep 17, 2009
This is a wild generalization (but what the heck):

20% of fastpitch players are truly special and you're lucky to have them and recruit them. If you can get one of them in a tryout, do it. But if you have one or two there's also a chance someone else is talking in their ear and you could lose them to greener pastures.

60% of players are close enough in talent that all you need to do is coach them up and hope they have good parents. Girls like that you should keep and help them achieve their goals. Two-way loyalty *is* possible.

20% of players probably will never reach that top 80% given their native ability. Probably crass to call them roster fillers, but also fair. Coaches should do their best to help them reach their potential and play as long as they can in travel and high school, but if you're team is improving it is fair to replace them with better players.

Too many coaches spend their time churning around that middle bulk of players -- lose, recruit, gain, repeat -- rather than a) coaching them to their ability and providing them with opportunities to succeed and b) discovering that when you do that loyalty is a two-way street that keeps everyone happy.

Apr 9, 2012
This is a wild generalization (but what the heck):

20% of fastpitch players are truly special and you're lucky to have them and recruit them. If you can get one of them in a tryout, do it. But if you have one or two there's also a chance someone else is talking in their ear and you could lose them to greener pastures.

60% of players are close enough in talent that all you need to do is coach them up and hope they have good parents. Girls like that you should keep and help them achieve their goals. Two-way loyalty *is* possible.

20% of players probably will never reach that top 80% given their native ability. Probably crass to call them roster fillers, but also fair. Coaches should do their best to help them reach their potential and play as long as they can in travel and high school, but if you're team is improving it is fair to replace them with better players.

Too many coaches spend their time churning around that middle bulk of players -- lose, recruit, gain, repeat -- rather than a) coaching them to their ability and providing them with opportunities to succeed and b) discovering that when you do that loyalty is a two-way street that keeps everyone happy.

This is actually a leadership tactic applied to industrial manufacturing. The concept is solid and can be applied to anything. It is simply a breakdown of the culture within the worker pool.

May 25, 2010
For better or for worse, we're living in a world now where no one feels they owe anyone anything, including common decency.

In the world of travel softball, I think it's a noble goal to want to stick around for a while, but by the same token, I don't think parents and players should feel trapped or completely obligated to remain if the situation is not what they felt they signed up for. Each player only has a limited number of years she can play softball, so I don't think parents should encourage her to stay with an organization that is not working for her out of some sense of loyalty or obligation.

Finish the season, find a better fit.

Just like buying a car or house, it's generally good advice not to accept an offer to join the first and only team you've looked at.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
How do you tell a coach that you didn't choose without hurting the relationship with the coach?

The softball community is small, even in highly populated states, so that word gets around about parents and coaches that did not act in good faith.

I can tell you in our case, I was up front and honest witth all of the coaches involved. Our TB team split this coming year because of ages. The girls moving up, including DD, got the new coaching staff. The new Managers first move was to go out and try to recruit pitchers for tryouts; even after he had 4 returning including DD. Since DD changed pitching coaches, thus changing quite a bit in her motion only a short while ago, she has become erratic and hasn't pitched this year. Her goal was to practice hard and tryout for a pitching slot which she will do. The new manager was told of her goals, was told that she wanted to pitch and was told that she was also trying out for other teams to give her more of an opportunity to do so.

Yesterday, DD tried out for another team, did very well and was offered the #2 slot in the pitching rotation. I told those coaches that we were very interested in their organization for many reasons including DD having friends there but we have several other tryouts left including DD's old organization. I then told them they would have a definitive answer on a set date about a week from now. I will keep my word.

Personally, I would like to see DD either stay with her existing organization or go to this one. Both have excellent coaching and are competitive teams. It will come down to whether she is offered a pitching position or not in the old organization as she really wants to pitch. As howellhandmade said, it's a parents dream to find a home for their DD, either organization could become a home for DD. Either way, it will be her decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut