Emily's Dream

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
The softball fan/coach/dad in me says....I am so sad for you and your daughter. As I learn more everyday about my daughter and many things amaze me about her work ethic and emerging desire I can only imagine how tough this is for you guys. It becomes a special bond and it is like losing am arm when it stops. Even for a month. I cannot begin to understand losing it permanently. :(

The human side of me says....I am so glad she is still with you today after brain surgery as this is serious and healing from this alone make her even more of a MIRACLE!

The Optimist in me says....When one door closes another opens. I have seen some INSANELY COOL things come off the back side of serious loss in life. (I challenge her to read The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkerson.)

Good Luck in Her future Quest! Just because playing is out ....does that mean coaching is too? Maybe it is time to consider becoming an apprentice in the sport at a young age.
I will pray that God Blesses Emily, you and the family through the next step of her life in ways that will blow everyone's mind.
Thomas

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
My best wishes and good health to both of you.

I have no doubt that you and your daughter will find another passion which you can enjoy together. It's what people like us do.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm so sorry to hear the news. Hugs to both you and Emily.

From someone who has a passion for the game I would not recommend having Emily be around it. It's too hard and there's always 'what if' As painful as it is make a clean break and assist her to find a new passion.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Will keep you and Emily in my thoughts and prayers and I wish Emily all the best in her future endeavors!

Apr 22, 2012
God bless you and your daughter. My family will be sending prayers for a new focus in Emily's life that she will love as much or more than softball.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Hugs and good thoughts - I can only imagine what you as a parent went through. I'm so glad to hear that Emily is healthy. I love the coaching idea; go back to when it was all fun and lollipops. There is nothing cuter than a five year old learning how to swing. (BTW - there are many mert based college scholarships given by small community groups - community service is HUGE.)
I'll add my favorite "after my first love" sport: tennis. I play with some ex-softball and baseball players and their serves are amazing. Growing up throwing a softball gives you a great serve - something I will never ever have. Youth tennis is ranked by ability, just like adults, so you play to your ability level as you learn and advance. You can learn, too, and once Emily is 18 she can get an adult ranking and you can enter mixed doubles tournaments together as a team. It is a wonderful social, lifetime sport and a great way to network later in life.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2009
Dreams sometimes are just that, a dream. For those that know my dd (Emily) had gone through brain surgery in January. She had a Dr. appointment yesterday and was told that playing softball was not a good idea. Like many dd’s on here, they have a dream of playing in college, maybe playing in the NPF. I write this with tears in my eyes and ache in my heart. We have cried together and felt a loss of a part of our lives. Emily's safety and future health and well being is far greater.

The people and friends we have met and some that we have not met face to face. Have made us part of a family, that has, laughed, lost, won and hurt together. We share something that others may not understand. It is a love and a passion for a game. It may only seem like a game to someone that is on the outside looking in but it becomes a part of you.

I never said that Emily was a superstar player and that she would have ever played in college or not. I let Emily shoot for the stars and if she fell short of her dream of being a Florida Gator and played at a small school, then she still lived her dream. But in a world today, when people talk about kids not being motivated and even lazy. Emily and other girls like her, work hard at becoming better. Sometimes missing other things to practice the game they love.

I wish to say good bye to all of you. I may have never met any of you in my life time. But I have always felt the love of this game in all of you. I say to you all, if your kids have a dream or grandkids (that is for you Amy). Jump in! Don’t look down! Look up only! Dreams are there for you to reach for and grasp a hold and don’t let go!!!

Emily and I loved this game and that’s why it is so hard to walk away. Emily will search her heart for another dream. I will be there to help her reach it. There is no looking back now, watch out world, because here she comes.

With a lot of tears right now, Love to all and good bye,

Bryan H Rutsky (nanotech14)

Nano, like you say we have never met, but I have always enjoyed your posts. It is obvious you are an amazing parent and you have an amazing daughter. I would say I am sorry about the loss of softball but for some reason I think your daughter has some amazing calling that you will help her find and achieve. Please let her know she has a huge number of people that she has never met rooting for her.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I am so sad for Emily (and you) to have this dream end abruptly- but I can only think as O2Crush noted, that Emily here and healthy is a miracle. She is here for a reason, and she will find her purpose and her passion- albeit in a different direction.

My sophomore year in college, I suffered a serious ankle injury that sidelined me for the season. I was depressed about my chances of playing the following year. Several months into my recovery, I met the crew coach in the weight room who talked me into going out for the crew team- I ended up joining the team and had the best time of my college life. I would never have thought that could have happened to me.

I will miss your posts and your insights into the game. Although this is a virtual community, I value its members and hope that you will pop in from time to time for a visit and let us know how Emily is doing.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Emily will be successful in life no mater what because she has a strong supportive family...
Don't loose sight of why we as parents and coaches do this. Besides the obvious, we love the game.... but more importantly, this game is just a vehicle to teach life lessons. Learning how to be accountable for your actions and holding others accountable for theirs, being dependable, being resourceful, understanding that any achievement worth obtaining is going to require a lot of hard work and discipline. You dd Emily will have learned these qualities in playing the game, but mostly through her time spent with her dad... no regrets! I wish you the best of luck.
James

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877