Pitching velo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
It’s the you can accomplish anything with hard work narrative. What you can accomplish with hard work is the satisfaction that you did all you could to do to be the best you can be…and that should be good enough. I wish that I had realized this when I was playing, it would have caused me to be a lot happier playing a silly game..

Silly game?

And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters.
The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces.
The one constant through all the years, Pattar, has been baseball.
America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers.
It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again.
But baseball has marked the time.
This field, this game; it's a part of our past, Pattar.
It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.

Oct 4, 2018
Agreed. Just have to watch the D1 regionals going on right now to demonstrate this. You can watch two pitchers - one from a P5 and one from a lower level mid-major - the radar shows them both throwing similar velocity. However, the P5 pitcher is generating a lot of K’s with swings and misses, the other pitcher, not so much. That is spin and spot.

Well... the mid-major pitcher is pitching to much better batters in your scenario...

Jun 8, 2016
Hitting is a lot easier if you only have to worry about one half of the plate which is what a hitter can do if they don’t have to worry about turning on an inside pitch. 🤷🏽‍♂️ That speed will depend on the level of the hitter. That is one thing which is missing in a lot of 14u ball that I see. A kid is throwing mid 50’s curves and fastballs on the outer half and kids are still rolling over. Don’t worry about getting blown up on an inside pitch. Just sit outer half and adjust if necessary.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Hitting is a lot easier if you only have to worry about one half of the plate which is what a hitter can do if they don’t have to worry about turning on an inside pitch. 🤷🏽‍♂️ That speed will depend on the level of the hitter. That is one thing which is missing in a lot of 14u ball that I see. A kid is throwing mid 50’s curves and fastballs on the outer half and kids are still rolling over. Don’t worry about getting blown up on an inside pitch. Just sit outer half and adjust if necessary.

My DD's hitting coach correctly predicted that my DD would be pitched outside a ton. Seems it's all she gets. Working with her on how to make that an advantage and opportunity.

But yeah, still get ground balls off the end of the bat that go to SS for an easy out. :(

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Silly game?

And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters.
The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces.
The one constant through all the years, Pattar, has been baseball.
America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers.
It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again.
But baseball has marked the time.
This field, this game; it's a part of our past, Pattar.
It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
And I read that in Darth Vader's voice...

Apr 14, 2022
All of which are irrelevant to pitch speeds and reaction time. And an elite softball swing is no different than an elite baseball one.
Define different?
Is 5 deg vs 8 deg different?
Pretty sure if you mlb parks 330’ down the lines and 360 dead center mlb players might modify their swings.

Apr 14, 2022
Have seen these charts before and think they are extremely flawed. They use the term reaction time for a reason because it is still very different hitting a softball at 65 and a baseball at 94. Why? Leaving aside the bigger yellow ball, home plate and the hitting zone are the same size in both baseball and softball. Let's say there is an 18 inch zone in which you can make solid contact, In one scenario the ball moves through that zone at 94 mph and in the other it moves through that zone at 65 that's a whole different animal so the time you have to decide to swing may be similar but the speed at which your bat needs to get into the zone is much different.
Zone is not the same size softball zone is 10% bigger center of the ball. Making contact and making solid contact are different. Not for sure the bigger ball makes a big difference when it comes to solid contact.
Speed bat to zone is the same.

Jun 8, 2016
If you look at the hitting statistics for HS/College baseball and softball they are similar. They were even more similar before baseball went to BBCOR bats. It is only when you get to pro level where baseball hitting statistics take a huge drop. Part of that is the wood bat and part of it is that you, for the most part (outside of the Japanese pro league), have the best pitchers from all over the world pitching against you. For example I think Olympic statistics are pretty similar to professional baseball. All of that to say I don’t think there is a huge inherent difference in “difficulty” overall if we correct for athletic differences between males and females.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
My DD's hitting coach correctly predicted that my DD would be pitched outside a ton. Seems it's all she gets. Working with her on how to make that an advantage and opportunity.

But yeah, still get ground balls off the end of the bat that go to SS for an easy out. :(

A hitting stick is the best tool for this. And don't squat, and dont extend the rear elbow, keep it close to the hip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying