Emily's Dream

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Dreams sometimes are just that, a dream. For those that know my dd (Emily) had gone through brain surgery in January. She had a Dr. appointment yesterday and was told that playing softball was not a good idea. Like many dd’s on here, they have a dream of playing in college, maybe playing in the NPF. I write this with tears in my eyes and ache in my heart. We have cried together and felt a loss of a part of our lives. Emily's safety and future health and well being is far greater.

The people and friends we have met and some that we have not met face to face. Have made us part of a family, that has, laughed, lost, won and hurt together. We share something that others may not understand. It is a love and a passion for a game. It may only seem like a game to someone that is on the outside looking in but it becomes a part of you.

I never said that Emily was a superstar player and that she would have ever played in college or not. I let Emily shoot for the stars and if she fell short of her dream of being a Florida Gator and played at a small school, then she still lived her dream. But in a world today, when people talk about kids not being motivated and even lazy. Emily and other girls like her, work hard at becoming better. Sometimes missing other things to practice the game they love.

I wish to say good bye to all of you. I may have never met any of you in my life time. But I have always felt the love of this game in all of you. I say to you all, if your kids have a dream or grandkids (that is for you Amy). Jump in! Don’t look down! Look up only! Dreams are there for you to reach for and grasp a hold and don’t let go!!!

Emily and I loved this game and that’s why it is so hard to walk away. Emily will search her heart for another dream. I will be there to help her reach it. There is no looking back now, watch out world, because here she comes.

With a lot of tears right now, Love to all and good bye,

Bryan H Rutsky (nanotech14)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
Awww Bryan. Tell Emily that Maggie and I are so sorry and that she will be fantastic in whatever she chooses to do! Good luck to you guys.

Make sure to pop back in every now and then and keep us updated.

Crystle

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Bryan,
Best wishes to Emily in what ever new passion she finds. Not a shamed to say I type this with teary eyes. I think of every DD like I think of mine and always want the best for them all. Don't be a stranger,visit us.
Rich

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Bryan, first of all my heart drops reading something like this. I've typed a response and erased, typed and erased, I just can't find the right words to say.

You've been an asset to the forum and Emily has been in our hearts since the accident. When things happen to a child I feel so helpless as I know you do too.

Is this a permanent diagnosis from the doctor?

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
aaww you don't have to leave us, you could give great knowledge to another parent who could be going through the same things. I'm so sorry she has to walk away, but there are bigger and better things ahead, even if it doesn't feel like it right now. Good luck to you and to her in where ever life leads!

Jun 18, 2010
Bryan, sorry to hear that news. I am sure another door will open for you and Emily. Good luck to you both.

I know it is not the same, but I understand your pain in letting go of the dream.
As a Dad I have had to come to peace with my eldest DD's decision to hang up the cleats and catchers gear after one year of college ball, transfer back in-state and focus on her studies. It had been our dream to watch her play four years of college ball. One year was enough for her, but not quite enough for Dad lol.
I wish and pray the best for you and your family.

Jul 26, 2010
I'm at a loss for words. You will be sorely missed, Bryan, along with the stories and lessons about Emily that you have shared with us.

The time the two of you were in love with this game was time well spent. Sadly, the ability to play softball competitively ends for everyone sooner or later. While it is very sad that Emily had her time cut shorter then most, she still gets to take all of those intangible things that playing a sport like this instills in a true competitor. Her fearlessness, her performance under pressure, her ability to overcome obstacles, and her understanding that it takes hard work to achieve her goals are all things that she takes with her to apply in anything else she sets her mind to.

Best wishes to both of you.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g