Elite level pitcher that doesnt use I/R? Definately not I/R. BM please explain? Lol!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I've had several students go to her clinic and come back confused because Amanda teaches the push down/pull up/HE in her clinics.

As to why she teaches that? My best guess is that is how she was taught, and she doesn't know how to teach any other way.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
But it is nowhere near what she does... Well if I think about it I could throw a fastball over 90 mph but I probably couldn't tell you how to pitch back in the day either?? In just confused by how this girl could teach HE????? It seems you can get them throwing strike quicker with that method???

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Well if I think about it I could throw a fastball over 90 mph but I probably couldn't tell you how to pitch back in the day either??

The mis-info is everywhere. Books, DVD's, websites, youtube, coaches, parents, etc., perpetuate this mis-info. I've chatted with kids, parents and coaches, showed them video, stills and made every attempt to explain the reality of whip. The mis-info often wins out since it is overwhelmingly prevailing. Many folks can't really see or feel the difference and rely on expert information even when the evidence shows otherwise.

I'm learning to pick my battles and help those who will trust the evidence. It happens in every sport...

My suggestion is to study, experiment and continually evolve. Enquist, Candrea, Balswick and many others will tell you that they never stop learning. Hearing that advice from these folks has been very encouraging to me.

The more I learn--the more I realize there is to learn...

Ken

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
The mis-info is everywhere. Books, DVD's, websites, youtube, coaches, parents, etc., perpetuate this mis-info. I've chatted with kids, parents and coaches, showed them video, stills and made every attempt to explain the reality of whip. The mis-info often wins out since it is overwhelmingly prevailing. Many folks can't really see or feel the difference and rely on expert information even when the evidence shows otherwise.

I'm learning to pick my battles and help those who will trust the evidence. It happens in every sport...

My suggestion is to study, experiment and continually evolve. Enquist, Candrea, Balswick and many others will tell you that they never stop learning. Hearing that advice from these folks has been very encouraging to me.

The more I learn--the more I realize there is to learn...

Ken

I totally agree.

Oct 22, 2009
It seems you can get them throwing strike quicker with that method???

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

Winna Winna Chicken Dinna!

One would think, but I instruct alongside another instructor that teaches HE, and her beginners and my beginners seem to throw strikes at the same pace, even though I never advocate strikes to my beginners.

The Push up/HE release tends to do either one of 2 things, 1. cause the girls to push the ball forward and aim it in, basically what I call a "coach pitch toss". 2. causes the pitch to sail high because the girls want to rush the HE and bend the elbow prior to releasing the thumb off the ball.

But I would agree, HE is much simpler to teach and understand.

And I totally feel what you go through Ken B, because I go through the same thing because I teach something that no one else does and even when the more famous pitchers come through and give clinics like, Scarborough or Williams, I'm left to explain myself all over again.

Feb 7, 2013
Unreal.... why don't you just start a certification course? Hell Epstein charges 1300 bucks for Epsteing hitting Certification???

Shush, keep it quiet and on the down low before these guys realize they can charge us for this free and excellent advice....

Oct 22, 2009
Hmmm.... I will look thru my old video and see what she did in her Friendswood clinic here a couple of years ago. I don't remember her teaching HE, but then my wife says I don't remember a lot of things !

Here is one of her videos where she is showing her release ---in fact it's more IR.
The video doesn't show her drills. My students said when they set up their drills, she rolled their hands over so the hand was on top of the ball at the 9:00 position. And told them to finish HE, like she finishes up in this video. Of course all they got out of that was to push the ball down then hello elbow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA