Should we just keep looking for a pitching coach? HE vs I/R

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2021
So a couple months ago I posted a video of my daughter pitching and I was suggested to help her with I/R. https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/8-year-pitcher-eval.41483/

We've gone through all the drills for a couple months and I really think she's making great progress. Her first pitching coach was a HE pitching coach, so I figured I would find her a new one. Just tried out a new pitching coach, he seems great EXCEPT he totally has her changing all the I/R stuff we just learned and straight up told her to HE it. Watched a pitcher that he had a lesson with right before us, she was pitching pretty well as far as I can tell, but it was definitely HE.

Do I just keep looking? How hard is a I/R pitching coach to find? I told him when we came in that we were working pretty exclusively on I/R and he kind of looked glassy eyed like he didn't know what I was talking about.

She has about 5 months until spring 10u and she's not good enough to pitch as of now, so I feel like the clock is ticking, but I'm not sure there's much I can help her with without a coach.

On the off chance that someone lives where we are we're in Orange County, CA. If you have a suggested pitching coach, that would be great. Otherwise, is it 100% worth it to just keep looking or should we just settle?

Lastly how can I find one? Where do I look?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
On the off chance that someone lives where we are we're in Orange County, CA. If you have a suggested pitching coach, that would be great. Otherwise, is it 100% worth it to just keep looking or should we just settle?

I/R is a term DFP uses. Other coaches might describe it differently.

Some might describe it as pulling the ball around the circle.

The key is whether a coach teaches having the hand behind the ball at 12.

There are lots of good coaches in OC. Keep looking.

Orange County has lots of very good PCs.

May 26, 2021
He definitely was not teaching internal rotation. My daughter had her palm up and elbow leading and he physically moved her to palm down and hello elbowed at the end.

@sluggers can you suggest any? It sounds like you may know of some? Would love some suggestions! I'm honestly not sure where to look. First one I found online this new one was a suggestion from a friend.

Sep 19, 2018
We've gone through all the drills for a couple months and I really think she's making great progress.

You know how your relationship with your dd works better than we do. If you are making great progress and the time spent working on pitching together is enjoyable, then continue with it until you find the RIGHT PC. Don't go down the wrong path in a rush because you have games in 5 months. you'd be suprised how quickly things can come together.

Oct 4, 2018
Find a new instructor.

... and I'm not sure what type of team she'll be on, but my DD's first year of 10U travel she had all of zero experience pitching. Within the year she was P1 on the team.

I'll bet she's more ready to pitch 10U games than either of you think.

May 26, 2021
@uncdrew thanks that's encouraging! Looking at the 10u girls they were pretty good. This last PC we went to said she needs at least 4 pitches to pitch in 10u she barely has 1 :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom