Should we just keep looking for a pitching coach? HE vs I/R

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
@uncdrew thanks that's encouraging! Looking at the 10u girls they were pretty good. This last PC we went to said she needs at least 4 pitches to pitch in 10u she barely has 1 :)
4 pitches??!! Hopefully she is counting inside fastball, outside fastball, high fastball, and low fastball as 4 different pitches. If you teach her a pitch out, maybe that can be the 5th “pitch”.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Get a decent PC and work 1 pitch, a fastball. Once she can throw that for a strike 50% plus then maybe start toying with learning a change up. Don't need anything else for 10U. If your DD can throw both most of the time to a spot, you are good thru at least 1st year 12U.

We have been there. Be patient. Keep doing what you learned here, continue to ask questions and learn more and just one day it will click. Learn from our mistakes. You will be light years ahead of most of us here at DFP when our DD's were 10U.

When talking to a pitching coach, ask them at the beginning of the conversation if they teach the hand above and snap or below the ball and whip. If they say above or push the ball down, politely tell them "thank you for your time" and hang up the phone or walk away.

Oct 4, 2018
@uncdrew thanks that's encouraging! Looking at the 10u girls they were pretty good. This last PC we went to said she needs at least 4 pitches to pitch in 10u she barely has 1 :)

Whoa. You must play on Planet Softball.

My DD was pretty dominating in 10U with just a fastball and a change. Did quite well first year 12U with just those two.

May 26, 2021
4 pitches. sigh. ball, strike, passed ball and wild pitch. We had another parent come here and tell us a coach said he needed 50MPH to pitch 10U. Where do these guys (and gals) come from?
well I'm super glad I'm hearing all this. It sounded crazy when he said it, but I don't really know. Makes me feel even better about not staying with him.

Apr 20, 2015
That is stupid. Sorry for not being kind but coaches like that piss me off. Absolutely no one but the most amazing unicorn has 4 pitches in 10u. Most have 2...a ball and a strike and maybe they can reliably throw that strike....maybe. the cream of the crop at 10u have a solid fastball and a solid change up. Anybody who says different run far and fast away from

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011
Definitely take Bill's recommendation. A friend's daughter works with Powerhouse Mechanics. I haven't looked closely at their material, but they have a coach in Santa Ana.

Run away from any pitching coach who says they need more than two pitches before 2nd year 12u. Mike Candrea says if you have good command of a fastball/drop and a changeup, you likely can pitch in college.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019
Need 4 pitches in 10u is comical. Did this PC also tell you she has to throw 50mph to get any time in the circle so you should schedule 4 lessons a week to get there?
Imho the vast majority of 10u pitchers in local travel tournaments have 2 pitches. Strikes and balls. At that age and level, hitting any pitch, especially one with a good 6/12 spin is a challenge and anything in the strikezone is going to get more swing and miss than a hit.
Just get with a good I/R coach, work on mechanics and it will fall in place. It's a marathon not a sprint.