Drop 8 versus Drop 9

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Duane

some softball dude
Aug 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
My oldest daughter is 5'3", weighs 125 and is very strong. We've done conditioning and weight training since she was 13 (now 15). She's hitting very well; bats 3rd in the line up on our TB team. Her high school coach mentioned to her that he'd like to see her using a drop 8. Right now she swings a 32/22.

What's the groups thoughts on going to a 33/24 versus 33/25? Other than trying them out, is there really anyway to tell what's best?

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2010
She's swinging a -10 now. A -9 will be less of a change vs. a -8, HOWEVER, how the bat is balanced makes more of a difference in feel then the actual weight. If her bat is balanced now, then going to an end loaded bat AND a heavier bat will be a huge change. In addition, some batting styles just don't lend themselves to end loaded bats. If her bat is already end loaded, then the weight change will be less of a difference.

Unfortunately, there is no "best". She's going to have to try them out and see what works for her.

-W

Duane

some softball dude
Aug 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Appreciate the response. She, like most girls who play the game, is REALLY particular about her bat. Her confidence level is high at the plate. The last thing I want to do is wreck that.

I did read in another thread here (I think) about doing a lot of tee work to get use to a new bat. We do a lot of tee work already and lots of tracking drills. I'm not big on pitching machines - the only time she uses one is at her weekly lesson and that's for about 10 minutes. I'm hoping she gets comfortable with the new bat pretty quickly.

Now that I think about it, maybe we'll get the new bat after our tourney season is done the end of November. That way she can learn to love her new bat as she does her current.

Jul 26, 2010
I always say that the "best bat" is the one the player believes is the best bat. While there may be technical and mechanical advantages for her using a particular weight or style of bat, hitting is 90% mental.

My best hitter on a 12u A ball team uses a crappy aluminum easton, no matter how much I and her parents/other coaches have tried to get her to use a different bat. Shes hit the fence three times in tournaments and I know if she had a composite the ball would be gone, but there it is.

-W

Duane

some softball dude
Aug 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
The HS coaches are talking about batting her 5th and want her to have a little more pop. The timing is good because she's had her CF3 for about 2 years so we are getting a new bat anyway.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
The HS coaches are talking about batting her 5th and want her to have a little more pop. The timing is good because she's had her CF3 for about 2 years so we are getting a new bat anyway.

Wanna sell the CF3..lol..
I agree with some above. If it ain't broke, why fix it....
i've never seen your daughter hit with her CF3, but i have with my DD and others. I think the ball pops off that bat just fine. My daughter doesn't care for the CF4, but loves the CF3

Feb 24, 2010

The coach sounds like he wants the new bat to do his job - that is, teaching her how to hit for power. Ask him to suggest some hitting instructors to add pop since he obviously doesn't know how or want to do it himself.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am 5'9" and I swing a 32, 22. So, she is already swinging a heavy bat, for her. I will venture to say that very few girls swing a -8. That is what the slow pitch men use.

I would politely tell the coaches that "we have decided not to switch bats, this year."

Jan 23, 2009
The coach sounds like he wants the new bat to do his job - that is, teaching her how to hit for power. Ask him to suggest some hitting instructors to add pop since he obviously doesn't know how or want to do it himself.

I agree. Hitting with power is a skill that can be learned. The key is to impart some backspin to the ball. The coach wants her to add "some pop". My question is, does she hit with power already (Has she hit the ball out on a 200 ft or better fenced field in a game situation?), but is inconsistent? Or does she have warning track power or less. If she displays power with her current bat, then she has some level of power mechanics in her swing and adjusting the loading of the bat may help her display power more often. If she has not displayed HR power with her current bat, then getting a new bat will likely not produce the results you are looking for. She would need to learn to hit for power.

My DD is 16 (5' 7" Athletic 125, 3 flat to first from RH box), has played A level travel since 13 and never hit one out on a fenced field. She uses a 31/21 Techzilla she likes and is stubborn about changing. Up to this summer, she was typecast as a bunter/slapper. Joined a new team this past summer whose coach is all about hitting and hitting for power (and teaches... not just schedules and makes the lineup). She hit 4 dingers on fenced fields (200-205) in A travel this summer and is just getting more consistent every game and practice. (I am considering a Rocketech for her, but she probably won't want to change)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd