10u Bat Size, Another year of a -13?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
Good morning all! My first post, I hope I have placed it well.

Also, I hope it is not a too worn discussion, my search has found plenty, but it seems it can be unique to each player, and I am very eager to hear personally all the knowledgeable thought I have been scouring here the last week.

Background: my DD just turned 10 this month, is 4' 7" and weighs about 65lb. Not a big girl by any means, but fairly athletic. I have not yet been one to spend high dollars on bats, in fact the bat she currently used was a $20 promo at a local tourney a little over a year ago. It is a Dudley Lightning -13 (29/16). We also break for soccer and basketball, but go hard in each in their respective times, so it is not [yet] a year round endeavor.

We have begun some strength/conditioning work and hitting this month, and I have noticed her bat speed much improved, though I have no metrics to back it up (Blast is on the way). Searching here I get the vibe that moving on towards a -10 as soon as possible seems to be a goal, so I thought I'd ask for everyone's thoughts or anecdotal evidence.

Yesterday, I "just so happened" to pass by a Play it Again. The selection was small, but I found a very cheap CF5 drop 11 (31/20) and she gave it some swings last evening. Recently I also purchased a Bustos from Academy for half off, a planned Christmas gift. It is a 30/17. Now I am not so sure.

I do have some video I can post with swings from each, if that helps.

I appreciate everyone's time, thank you!

T

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020
My daughter(9yr old) has used the 30 -13 Bustos the past year and a half. Good bat for the age, my daughter is 5'0 100lbs and for Christmas she is stepping up to a 31 -10 DeMarini 2020 CF that I got during the 1/2 price sale.... I have heard the same to get to the drop -10 when you can so we will make the leap. But it totally depends on their swing, strength and ability to handle the weight... My daughter really liked the Bustos, but told me that it is really light and started swinging a PXT 31/21 and really liked it(it was heavy to me..lol)... Though it was to heavy, so we jumped to the Demarini CF which is supposed to be more true to weight, we will see. Best of luck!

Dec 12, 2020
Thanks cschoeni! It's funny you mention the weight feeling heavy, the old CF5 I purchased felt heavy to me. She seemed to swing it with more authority than I thought she would, I just don't want to inhibit any mechanical progress she has made. She has recently begun swinging a Camwood occasionally, not with their program, more of an overload aspect, so I don't think it must have been the shock I imagined it would be.

She said it was "light" fwiw 🤷‍♂️

Apr 20, 2015
A 31 is an extremely long bat for a small 10yo. Especially going up 3 oz. For comparison my 9yo is 4ft 7 and 47 lbs and swings a 28/29 as did her older sister. 29 as 10yo 30 as 11, 31 and 12, 32 at 13 and now working into a 33. Shes now 5ft 6 and 120lbs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 9, 2020
A 31 is an extremely long bat for a small 10yo. Especially going up 3 oz. For comparison my 9yo is 4ft 7 and 47 lbs and swings a 28/29 as did her older sister. 29 as 10yo 30 as 11, 31 and 12, 32 at 13 and now working into a 33. Shes now 5ft 6 and 120lbs.

This is where I am hoping I didn't go wrong.... But in my mind I was thinking that could be a bat she could use for a couple of years if I bought the 31 instead of the 30.... I guess I will find out in about 9 days...

Dec 12, 2020
My thoughts exactly, and as I just reviewed her video, she was choked up a good an inch. Also, th 20oz is actually 4 more oz than her normal 16.

I guess I'm just worried that I should get a bat that eats into the drop 13, and get something for Xmas other than the Bustos 30/17 I have in hiding.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
This is where I am hoping I didn't go wrong.... But in my mind I was thinking that could be a bat she could use for a couple of years if I bought the 31 instead of the 30.... I guess I will find out in about 9 days...
Don't try and get multiple years out of a bat. Get what works now, then deal later.
When my DD was first year 10U she was 4'6'' 90lbs. she was able to swing the heck out of a 28-11 CF. At the end of the season, I bought a 30-11 CF for the next season. The 2 inch& ounce jump was big. Even 6-7 months later it took a while for her swing to catch up.

Apr 20, 2015
You definitely don't want to try to get a bat to grow into. Really Really bad bat drag and mechanical issues come out of this especially when they are young.

Oct 9, 2020
You definitely don't want to try to get a bat to grow into. Really Really bad bat drag and mechanical issues come out of this especially when they are young.

I definitely agree with this now. I do think my daughter will be able to handle the 31/21 being tall and lanky, but this will be definitely something to keep an eye on.

Oct 26, 2019
I coach a 10U team and 10 of the 11 girls we have swing a 29/18. One of them swings a 30/19 and she is 5’1” and strong. I would stay in a 29.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom