Does your softball player, play any other sports?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD#1 played basketball in middle school, ran track, and then played travel and HS softball only for her last three years of HS.

DD#3 played basketball, volleyball, ran track, and softball in middle school. She played travel basketball and travel softball for her freshman year of high school, and then played travel basketball only. In HS, she lettered for two years in softball, 4 years in basketball, 4 years in tennis and 2 years in track.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
School activities come first. That is why I like school sports, you finish the sport that you are in and then, move on to the next one.

But, if you are in travel ball and also, band - you have to make a choice and go with the consequences. If band competition falls on Sat. and you also have a TB game, that is a problem.

I have 4 pitching students that are Mormon and do not play any sports on Sunday. Three of them are #1 pitchers. Two play for the same team. So, the coaches know that they can't be there and they carry enough pitchers, to make up for their absences.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
My DD swims summer+fall. I woudn't mind her being a one-sport player in basketball or soccer, but there isn't(inherently) enough running in softball for conditioning.

Jul 9, 2010
My DD wanted to play some other sports. In her words - she wanted to be a multi-sport athlete.

I told her that, unfortunately for her, she lived in a multi-kid household, and it was all we could do to keep up with 1 sport for the three of them. So, She had to pick her one, and do the best she could at it.

Plus, here in FL, there is no off-season anyways, so it's probably a little easier to stay focused on the one thing.

May 25, 2010
So here is the follow up question? Does your daughter's coach have a problem with her playing more then 1 sport...I am just curious how common this sort of 1 team sport attitude is.
Our daughter is still in rec for both her sports, and soccer has priority over softball in the fall. Her softball coach was fine with that arrangement, so she practiced once per week with the team and then was there for all her games. We've had conversations with a couple of club soccer coaches in the past year who expressed interest, but who made it clear that soccer came before all else. Many of the softball coaches are the same way, but there seems to be a little more flexibility in the softball community, especially for pitchers and catchers who can go out and get the job done without having had a lot of time on the field with their teams.

The one good thing about soccer being so competitive in the region is that there are many rec teams that are very good and with a seeding tournament at the start of the season, they're able to ensure that a strong team can play strong comparatively strong competition all season long. Local leagues also support select programs (you try out before the season and if you don't make it, you just go play on a rec team) which compete with other rec league select teams in the region and occasionally against club teams.

In softball, however, only a few of the local leagues have select programs and ours is not one of them.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
In addition to travel softball, DD plays field hockey for the middle school team in the Fall and rides her horse in jumping competitions on weekends when there are no softball touraments. Homework and pitching lessons take up any other available free time.

Nov 28, 2010
Midwest
Gymnastics meets run October thru April and her gym only does 8 meets in that time, however she cannot miss practices 2 weeks before a meet for reasons other than illness. There is alot of conditioning that goes on all summer long and her coaches are really good about her missing alot in the summer for TB. We are lucky that even though both sports are practiced year round (she is a pitcher) we don't have too much conflict but both sets of coaches understand that whichever sport is in its competative season..that is where her priority is.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Daughter is a swimmer fall and winter and then softball the rest of the time. Swimming is great for staying in shape and all the shoulder/back and core work really helps with her pitching. She also plays JO volleyball but that will end once she gets to High School (8th Grader) because swimming and Vball are in the same season.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
My DD also does "equestrian jumping" year round. If you thought softball was expensive, you should try owning and showing a couple of horses! Dad get's DD for softball... Mom get's DD for horse... makes for some interesting negotiations regarding scheduling. I will say however that jumping a horse has done wonders for her core as well as legs and upper body strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1