How will the power 5 dissolve impact softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
I know some SEC schools take charter flight to every weekend series, mainly because hard to find commercial flights to all the cities. Not sure if all teams in conference do that?

Wouldn't think that would be too much of a stretch for the new Bigger 10 to do the same.

Comments I read suggested that the 'other' sports (Including SB) travel commercial. I know that the U. of Wisconsin had to cut a game short to make their flight. Maybe charter becomes more common for some of the games they play.

Apr 28, 2014
Rumor is that Big 10 schools will hold round Robin type tournaments in early spring out west...

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I'm sure people smarter than I have already thought this through: Since all this realignment is driven by football with its large tv contracts and to a lesser extent basketball, why wasn't the realignment isolated to these two sports? Leave the sports that are more likely to take a bus or the school van alone to play their geographic rivals.

Jul 1, 2022
I'm sure people smarter than I have already thought this through: Since all this realignment is driven by football with its large tv contracts and to a lesser extent basketball, why wasn't the realignment isolated to these two sports? Leave the sports that are more likely to take a bus or the school van alone to play their geographic rivals.
The conferences have the leverage ($) due to the big media deals. No reason for the B1G to give up the rights to UCLA softball (which has value) to the dying PAC when UCLA is the one begging to join the B1G.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012

I am wondering what the point of it all is going forward. Now that they (football/basketball mainly) are no longer student-athletes (just athletes) why does it need to be tied directly to the school (money of course).

I would rather watch the Michigan Wolverines play with actual student-athletes who attend school and will (possibly) graduate (someday). I am probably in the minority....

May 17, 2023
Comments I read suggested that the 'other' sports (Including SB) travel commercial. I know that the U. of Wisconsin had to cut a game short to make their flight. Maybe charter becomes more common for some of the games they play.

Yeah and also the SEC probably has: 1. More money to burn and 2. Larger portion of schools not located near major airports.

The buses load the player's gear ahead of time and then drives through night. It arrives at the regional airport to pickup the team when flight arrives. Not a bad way to travel......haha.

Jul 1, 2022
I am wondering what the point of it all is going forward. Now that they (football/basketball mainly) are no longer student-athletes (just athletes) why does it need to be tied directly to the school (money of course).

I would rather watch the Michigan Wolverines play with actual student-athletes who attend school and will (possibly) graduate (someday). I am probably in the minority....
Hate to say it but the existence of big money in college football funds non revenue sports. So what if some of those players don't go to classes; those players, along with the rest of the program, bring in so much money to the school, especially if they're a winning program.

I don't think it college softball could grow like it has without the help of big money sports (and Title IX)

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi