How will the power 5 dissolve impact softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2020
With the PAC10 top programs joining the Big10 or Big12 and the reshuffling of teams between the Big12 and SEC creating 3 super conferences where does that that put the non revenue sports?
Todays sports discussion hit on programs like softball and the discussion if east coast or Midwest programs able to make west coast trips for non revenue sports.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
That makes UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Washington joining the B1G Ten. I believe Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona St. are joining the Big 12. Not many teams left in the PAC 10. Stanford, CAL, Oregon St., Utah, etc.

I am guessing Stanford and Utah will be the next two schools to jump conferences, they both have good athletic programs.

May 27, 2013
With the PAC10 top programs joining the Big10 or Big12 and the reshuffling of teams between the Big12 and SEC creating 3 super conferences where does that that put the non revenue sports?
Todays sports discussion hit on programs like softball and the discussion if east coast or Midwest programs able to make west coast trips for non revenue sports.
Would all sports from a school make the jump? If so, maybe they’d divide up the new conferences into “East” and ”West” divisions where you only play the schools in your division until it’s time for conference playoffs? That would lessen the travel and keep costs down for the non-revenue sports.

Apr 1, 2017
That makes UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Washington joining the B1G Ten. I believe Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona St. are joining the Big 12. Not many teams left in the PAC 10. Stanford, CAL, Oregon St., Utah, etc.

I am guessing Stanford and Utah will be the next two schools to jump conferences, they both have good athletic programs.
Utah is going Big 12, giving the conference 16 teams.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
While they use various ways to not admit it on paper, Power5 Teams have lots and lots of money and run on a surplus so it will have very limited effect except for scheduling which becomes a huge PIA and will add even more hours to the athletes time they need to spend with their teams over classroom (which matters to many of these athletes).

Even while softball is technically a revenue sport, most of the softball stadiums in the SEC that have been built because many of their football programs have run out of things to upgrade or build and they need to spend on some big ticket items

All this bickering and change is all over how much money these schools can grab.

Some simple methods on hiding revenue numbers:
  • Count all scholarships as expenses at the highest rate the school charges
  • Don't count parking, concessions or merchandise as Athletic revenue - put in general college funds
  • Don't count booster contributions as revenue - put in the general fund
  • Don't count licensing deals directly - make them a University deal...
  • Make sure the building costs are big and on the program
And so on. Even with all this, many schools STILL can't hide all the money

Some examples:
University of Michigan reported a surplus of $17M last year.
Michigan State claimed they broke even in their financial disclosure... down to the dollar so you know that is total BS.
University of Arkansas had a 8M surplus
U of Texas - 14M surplus
.. and so on.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020
BIG 10 is considering rounding out the teams at 20.
This could open up opportunities for ACC teams like Clemson, FS, Miami. ND
PAC12 Cal or Stanford. Who else may get an invite?

May 27, 2013
Will definitely be interesting to see how this plays out for softball. Will the mid to lower end teams of the Big 10 and Big 12 become stronger, weaker, or stay the same because of this? Will teams who used to be on the cusp of being conference contenders now miss out on making playoffs? Next few years could get real interesting.

Feb 15, 2017
If it is football only, the conferences will all be an also ran to the SEC.
4915ad6693f63f880ddad467082863b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi