Dipping back knee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I suspect the drill has her increasing upper body resistance/pull back which sets up the tug of war with the rear leg around the rear hip pivot with hip/pelvis as bottom of top and not top of bottom.
pelvis can then open while rear hip can remain closed (in IR)

stop swings can be a good drill

Tom ... do you consider the resistance to be equivalent to physically pulling backward/rearward?

Is it the latissimus dorsi muscle that you consider active in this resistance or pull back?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Tom, from your last post I believe you are stressing the “upper rear leg” driving the swing … and not the “hip” driving the swing.

In fact you go further … not only is the hip not driving, but the hip is resisting.

This is why you often speak of the hip as the bottom of the top … you are speaking of the top of the body resisting the rotation that is a result of a driving rear leg.

You write about pulling more to launch the swing. You write of four pull back links …

1: Hip coiling back again the rear upper leg driving forward (internally rotating)

2: Lower back pulling back.

3: Scap pinch.

4: Pull back of the top hand – wrist flick.

#2 is something I believe I routinely feel … and the reason I asked about the latissimus dorsi muscle. Is this the correct muscle area that you are speaking of?

#3, the scap pinch … curious … would you consider this more a ‘result’, or are you teaching actively attempting to pinch the rear scap?

#4. the top hand. Is this the action immediately following the “up & In” movement … the reversal of the “up & In”?

Basically, during the portion of the swing that Williams described as having the hips lead the way … you are saying that the upper rear leg is driving, and the hips & upper torso are resisting that driving action. You are describing a feel of resisting, or pulling back, with the upper body versus swinging with the upper torso. That is, you are describing a feel of the upper torso turning back, including the hip, away from the pitcher … a ‘body coil’ type feel if you would … as the upper rear leg drives forward. Basically, the rear hip serves as a sort of axis. Is this how you see it?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
"hip" = leg and socket in pelvis which is where the pivot/rag wring/tug of war center is
"pelvis" is fused ring of bones.
rear HIP stays closed (in IR) while PELVIS opens.
recent FP sighting:

experiment with focus on the pull back/upper body resistance links staying intact and see what rear "upper leg" does.

remove focus on "the move"

try doing this slapping to oppo field as in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Tom, "the move" is basically a realization that the rear leg coils ... and of course uncoils. Not sure what you have against that.

I've run the experiments in the past ... the result is an accentuation of the upper rear leg driving action.

Note that when Jim speaks of turning the magic spot, i.e. the upper rear leg, he is not speaking of turning the entire rear leg. Another way to view it is that if the rear leg is coiled, that it can be uncoiled ... with the emphasis placed on the top of the rear leg ... and the rear foot basically supporting that action in a closed chain articulation type manner (not attempting to turn in the direction of the upper rear leg). What I see you adding here is an emphasis on the resistance of the upper body ... from the hips on upward. I do not see "the move" as being refuted, but supported.

Jun 18, 2010
Update:

I would like to thank all of the contributors to this thread. DD and I have worked and tweaked and practiced and implemented many of the suggestions you guys have offered. The payoff came yesterday, DD hit her very first home run to dead center field with two runners on. She said that was the single best feeling she has ever had. DW cried saying it was the best mother's day present ever. Thanks for all of the time and effort you give to the parents asking for help with swing mechanics.

May 13, 2008
Update:

I would like to thank all of the contributors to this thread. DD and I have worked and tweaked and practiced and implemented many of the suggestions you guys have offered. The payoff came yesterday, DD hit her very first home run to dead center field with two runners on. She said that was the single best feeling she has ever had. DW cried saying it was the best mother's day present ever. Thanks for all of the time and effort you give to the parents asking for help with swing mechanics.

Very cool! Congrats to your DD for all the hard work. Can you post a follow-up video?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45