Dipping back knee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
I asked her to demo her coil and then freeze at heel plant. I see a girl turning her pelvis around a firm rear leg as she comes forward. What do you see:confused:

View attachment 1839

This is a significant improvement. What's happening in terms of her power?

Just a very impressive improvement, congratulations to both you and Jess.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I would like to see her keep her front side elbow a little higher, at the top of the zone if you will, she is pretty good at the launch position, but never really seems to get up the ramp, I would put a little more emphasis on driving the the front elbow in the lane between the plate and box, without allowing the shoulders to rotate out to early, atleast until the barrel is released and at contact, just my thoughts.

Here is her front arm position one frame before contact. Her front elbow looks to me to be in a very strong position. If you're referring to the tension in her front arm as her shoulders begin to turn forward, I agree it's not ideal. However the tension in the front arm at that point in her swing is not a front elbow issue. It's an issue with her hands lagging due to the fact that she initiates the throw of the barrel about one frame late. She is working on getting her hands going at least one frame sooner. When she figures that out, I'm confident the tension in the front arm will go away because her hands will be keeping up with her shoulders.

Front arm position.jpg

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
I suspect the drill has her increasing upper body resistance/pull back which sets up the tug of war with the rear leg around the rear hip pivot with hip/pelvis as bottom of top and not top of bottom.
pelvis can then open while rear hip can remain closed (in IR)

stop swings can be a good drill

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
This is a significant improvement. What's happening in terms of her power?

Just a very impressive improvement, congratulations to both you and Jess.

Her power won't improve until she figures out how to get her hands started about one frame sooner. In almost all her swings lately, her hips are finishing about 1 to 1 1/2 frames before her hands get to contact. I compared her swing to Mantle and the frame where the front foot gets weighted (I believe what Boardmember terms "shear point") is very telling. At that point in the swing Mantle is taking his hands to the ball big time. My DD flattens one more frame, then takes her hands to the ball. She's about 1 frame out of sync getting her hands going. It's very clear what she needs to fix when she is compared to the pros. The pros are so much better at using their hands.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. We had our first tournament last weekend, she had two triples, two doubles, several singles, and one strike out. Her hitting is already much better than last fall.

Here is what we have been working on since our last post:
1. Posture / Balance. I had her position her feet in her normal stance, lock her knees, bend at the waist, then soften her knees. After the tournament, DD said she felt like she saw the ball better with more bend in her waist.

2. Weight Transfer. As suggested, I had DD get in her stance, then I placed my hand against her front shoulder and told her when she lifts her front foot to stride she should feel as if I am supporting her. We did drills that had her work on just falling forward when she lifted her stride foot without any swing.

3. Hand position. I noticed on a lot of the images and gifs of the model swings as the player strides and walks away from their hands, the hand position is back and down by their armpit. When she made this adjustment, she does not hit as many balls straight down.

4. During the Tee drill, I have had her look at a target across the street (pretending it is the pitcher) then swing at the ball on the tee.

5. We worked a lot from starting in a narrow stance. DD is also a pitcher so she has the concept of a premotion. I told her (I hope I am correct on this), that everything until toe touch is like her pitching premotion, and to pick a style she is comfortable with. She seems to like a wider stance.

6. We adjusted the "flat bat" and now have her bat barrel by her pony tail.

7. She is gripping the bat more in her fingers than palm.

This video from last night was not off the tee but from side toss.

I would stand the bat head up 2 - 3 more inches. Will slot different.
Wide stance is ok.
A long stride ontop of a wide stance will hamper a good weight transfer.
Would shorten the stride some.

The elvis move will make the back knee go towards second base. Just something to think about and look at video, on how to make the hips work better.

Bat abit taller/shorten the stride is the 2 things I would do.

Looks like a very athletic girl.

SL

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009

Stance is way too wide! Have her try a Babe Ruth stance (or just do the Babe Ruth drill). In that stance her feet will be no further than about 8" apart. The long stride will work much better that way.

The wide stance has no good purpose or place in her case. It's a hindrance.

Jan 13, 2012
Her power won't improve until she figures out how to get her hands started about one frame sooner. In almost all her swings lately, her hips are finishing about 1 to 1 1/2 frames before her hands get to contact. I compared her swing to Mantle and the frame where the front foot gets weighted (I believe what Boardmember terms "shear point") is very telling. At that point in the swing Mantle is taking his hands to the ball big time. My DD flattens one more frame, then takes her hands to the ball. She's about 1 frame out of sync getting her hands going. It's very clear what she needs to fix when she is compared to the pros. The pros are so much better at using their hands.

What do you mean by "taking the hands to the ball"?

Please teach her top hand swivel. With that new lower body, top hand swivel would make her one of
(if not the best) hitter in her area. And that's including baseball players.

May 13, 2008
Is there anyway to separate Wellphyt's posts about his DD to another thread? I'm afraid that knightsb's thread is getting hijacked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid