Diamond 9 Fall Sun Classic?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
This year's schedule finally came out late last night...and our team's schedule has already been changed twice since then. Great for the kids who emailed their coaches already!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Couldn't agree more. $1600 per team for six games. Two games Friday, when D1 coaches can't even be there, and ours are at 7:05 and 8:40PM. This model can't hold up for long.

Many of the best Florida teams are not there this year because they went to the PGF GEM showcase this weekend instead.

Also many of the 'big name' teams getting the prime fields are getting in for free - so think about how you are paying for that when you are well over an hour away from the Disney WWOS main fields and playing at 10:45pm on a converted baseball field.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
When Anna was playing 14U the president of our organization sent the $1600.00 check in well in advance, the check was cashed, all is good.........airline tickets purchased in advance by probably 60% of the parents, all is still good right..........

The week before he was getting curious about the schedule as he hadn’t heard anything, he calls and finally gets ahold of someone..........we’re NOT in!! And we’re not getting in!

I don’t remember how long it took to get the money, but I do remember it was a long time! And those parents never got refunded for the airline tickets, they just got credit.

The D9 showcase never crossed our minds again! I’m sure there’s been some great stories with coach interaction and even college commitments, but I’ve never had one parent ever tell me personally what a great experience it was, ever!

But there’s got to be something to it?

May 27, 2013
I don’t know - last year when we were there everywhere I turned there was a P5 Coach., as well as other very good DI programs. Our recruiting coach was working non-stop handing out profiles and chatting with coaches. Top level teams were there and will be there again this week. If you’re at ESPN WWOS, you will see the coaches.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Cause our Northeast team can play Top Thunderbolts, Mercados As, two Texas Glory teams and Hotshots.
Cant get that competition in the north east.

The only way you get that schedule is if you are on one of the 'chosen few' teams that are part of the old boy network that surrounds D9. And that is fine - but you are basically attending a different event from at least 80% of the teams that will be at D9.

Most Northeast teams will get a couple of local Florida teams and maybe some team from Ohio on the backfields. Even the backfields at Disney are fairly nasty to play on - a hike from the gate and no shade. Which is also going to be fun because this weekend it looks like thunderstorms in the afternoons. For example: it will be great if you are RI Thunder Lotti - it will suck if you are RI Thunder Wilson - It will be great if you are Miami Stingray Gold but suck in you r are Miami Stingrays 18U. But hey these teams all paid the same... well maybe they did. It is hard to tell with D9 who paid and who is being paid for.

It isn't really about the competition - we played some great teams and games at the times we were at D9 - it is how it is set up to help recruit and spotlight those that are on the good side of D9 and how everyone else pays for that and gets screwed over.

Nothing like knowing some team is at WWOS on the championship field and they paid nothing and you are an hour away for the whole event and paid $1600. 400 teams and one year we played a local team we play every week. On a converted baseball field. An hour away. Multiple coaches told us they wanted to come to see us but couldn't justify the drive. One tried to come see us but got lost because two parks have similar names and she went to the wrong one. I could go on....and on....

Holy &$#. I see they are playing games at the USSSA Space Coast venue... That is a HIKE from WWOS - 65 miles and over an hour assuming no traffic (which you can't). And turf fields... I am guessing they may or may not have mentioned that. And DiamondPlex in Winter Haven - which is 25 minutes in the other direction. That wont be fun at all.

Since it is play and stay - I am sure the people who booked hotels near Disney but found out yesterday that they have all their games at Space Coast are going to be just THRILLED they get to drive there.

Oh and even if you are playing exclusively at Fortune Road or Diamondplex or Space Coast- you will still have to pay the same entry fee to watch your kid play as if you were playing at WWOS. Because you know, the $1600 you already paid really just wasn't enough.

Oh and I see a note that says Florida teams - you get the late slots Sunday after coaches go home! Lucky you!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The only way you get that schedule is if you are on one of the 'chosen few' teams that are part of the old boy network that surrounds D9. And that is fine - but you are basically attending a different event from at least 80% of the teams that will be at D9.

Most Northeast teams will get a couple of local Florida teams and maybe some team from Ohio on the backfields. Even the backfields at Disney are fairly nasty to play on - a hike from the gate and no shade. Which is also going to be fun because this weekend it looks like thunderstorms in the afternoons. For example: it will be great if you are RI Thunder Lotti - it will suck if you are RI Thunder Wilson - It will be great if you are Miami Stingray Gold but suck in you r are Miami Stingrays 18U. But hey these teams all paid the same... well maybe they did. It is hard to tell with D9 who paid and who is being paid for.

It isn't really about the competition - we played some great teams and games at the times we were at D9 - it is how it is set up to help recruit and spotlight those that are on the good side of D9 and how everyone else pays for that and gets screwed over.

Nothing like knowing some team is at WWOS on the championship field and they paid nothing and you are an hour away for the whole event and paid $1600. 400 teams and one year we played a local team we play every week. On a converted baseball field. An hour away. Multiple coaches told us they wanted to come to see us but couldn't justify the drive. One tried to come see us but got lost because two parks have similar names and she went to the wrong one. I could go on....and on....

Holy &$#. I see they are playing games at the USSSA Space Coast venue... That is a HIKE from WWOS - 65 miles and over an hour assuming no traffic (which you can't). And turf fields... I am guessing they may or may not have mentioned that. And DiamondPlex in Winter Haven - which is 25 minutes in the other direction. That wont be fun at all.

Since it is play and stay - I am sure the people who booked hotels near Disney but found out yesterday that they have all their games at Space Coast are going to be just THRILLED they get to drive there.

Oh and even if you are playing exclusively at Fortune Road or Diamondplex or Space Coast- you will still have to pay the same entry fee to watch your kid play as if you were playing at WWOS. Because you know, the $1600 you already paid really just wasn't enough.

Oh and I see a note that says Florida teams - you get the late slots Sunday after coaches go home! Lucky you!
So in other words you would highly recommend this tournament. Good to know.. 😂

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06