Defense, can anybody play anywhere?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Do you think it's because girls are just focusing on travel and not High School?

Field hockey, lacrosse and wrestling (ugh) have been growing and are an option for girls that want to play HS sports to participate. In So Cal, HS teams often have to cut players. They will carry 20 players which is a little silly.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2019-12-30-14-26-46.png

Womens softball college world series
ESPN VIEWERS

VS

mens baseball college world series ESPN viewers

Screenshot_2019-12-30-14-27-33.png

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2019-12-30-14-54-58.png

This is a few years ago. 2015
Good article on FLO SOFTBALL

:) not trying to upset your
Sports ecosystem just adding info

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
RAD, what can/should be done to make NPF more popular/successful/ profitable?

How can college ball popularity transfer over to make a viable NPF?

Can't NPF get some help from MLB? Like WNBA gets from NBA?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thank you sluggers for your interest in softball. Certainly passionate as i am about softball interest in sports !!

Your baseball world series info
Stated 1.9 million on a 3 game series.

Check out these numbers for
1 womans college
World series game
1.8 million!

Screenshot_2019-12-30-15-17-05.png

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
RAD, what can/should be done to make NPF more popular/successful/ profitable?

How can college ball popularity transfer over to make a viable NPF?

Can't NPF get some help from MLB? Like WNBA gets from NBA?
Short answer,
Going to take some big pull.
Oprah
Mark Cuban
Jay Leno
:)

MLB any thoughts on why the havent?

Dec 5, 2017
This is always situation dependent in rec when I coached 12U I probably did pigeonhole girls too much but we had several girls, who had played very little or not at all, that I simply wouldn't put in the infield for safety reasons (maybe a little time a 2B and I positioned them almost in the grass and only against weak hitting teams). I had three or four pitchers and they rotated around the infield when not pithcing sometime in rec you are just stuck with what you have maybe at 8U and 10U not as big a deal but some of my girls at 12U rec could have played on any travel team they wanted (just had other things they were doing) and on the flip side had two girls in particular where my victory was simply to stop getting them to pick daisies in the outfield and focus on the game.
We're all probably a little guilty of pigeonholing certain girls and I've also had the girls that I was uncomfortable putting in the infield but I did exactly what you said, put them out by the grass for an inning a game and really stress to them that they have to pay attention. I've found that a lot of the girls that aren't very skilled don't care about playing the infield nearly as much as their parents do :rolleyes:

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Probably because it wasn't their idea. :ROFLMAO:
It's a sad testament to our society but other than SB and women's soccer, viewership of female sports in this country in general is a small fraction of their equivalent men's sport. To be honest, I'm guilty of it to a certain extent. For example, I'll watch the PGA when I have time but have no interest in the LPGA even though the skill level displayed by the LPGA professional golfers is equivalent in every way to that of the PGA.

The WNBA was brought up earlier. It's been long known and stated by those in top positions throughout those organizations that without the NBA subsidizing them, the WNBA would have folded long ago. Again, the skill level displayed is every bit as good in both leagues.

IMO, there are a myriad of reasons for the disparity in viewership but here are the top 2 I truly believe is responsible although this may sound a bit sexist and an overgeneralization but it isn't meant to be. 1) I think men, as a whole, are more interested in watching sports and will go out of their way to do so whereas women, if presented the opportunity, will probably take it as long as it's not an inconvenience or conflicts with something else they fell they either have to do or want to do. I have more than a few friends who are in their mid 50's and still travel to HS football games to watch them in 35 degree weather. These are teams that not one of them attended either school but they felt it would be a good game. The only women in the stands are those whose kids are on the field. 2) Men, either subconsciously or consciously believe a female version of a sport that men also play is somehow 'lesser' for lack of a better word. They will go out of their way to watch Men's sports but not womens' unless they have nothing better to do.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yocoach those are good points you brought up.

To share, Have been in softball now 49 years and counting. Watching softball GROW continues to be fantastic!!!
RAD to be a part of it !!!!
KEEP IT GOING!
KEEP IT GROWING EVERYONE!!!

*Remember this phrase...
"We've come a long way!"

Here is an outstanding article.
Revenue compairisons to other sports. Tremendous growth in softball!!!
Lots of info!

Screenshot_2019-12-31-05-45-09.pngScreenshot_2019-12-31-05-42-38.pngScreenshot_2019-12-31-05-40-01.png

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
It is a parent's job to make sure their child is prepared for their softball future. Too many parents rely on their kid's coaches to get them to where they need be imo. This is partially why you see so much team hopping IMO.

My 10 YO DD (playing 12U) plays >95% of her innings at SS and the rest mainly at 2B with a few innings every season in the OF. When she first joined the team it was just the opposite, most of the innings at 2B (with the coach's kid playing SS). She likes her team(in general, it is not perfect but most situations will not be), they play a decent schedule for 12U (again not perfect) and the org at the higher ages is fairly competitive nationally (a bonus is the org head lets us use the indoor facility whenever we want to...). Coaching leaves a bit to be desired but I know enough so that it isn't really any issue. So knowing that she needs to be able to play the OF if necessary, but overall she is happy at the moment playing with her team, I make sure she gets her fly ball reps (she does get some, but not enough, in practice) when we go out to the field to practice by ourselves. Granted they are not game reps, but if you are able to track fly balls you are 3/4 of the way there in terms of OF play.

People say the sport is dying because kids want to be on their cell phones all day but to me it is really the parents who want to be on their cell phones all day and not bother to go out and spend some quality time with their kids (I also think some parents just do not know the amount of work that is required in order for their kid to reach their potential). I think very few 8-12 YO who would say no to a Dad or Mom if they were asked if they want to go hang out at the ballfield for an hour. Kids at that age just want to be around their idols (I know this doesn't last in general... ;) ) I know people work a lot nowadays but an hour 2 or 3 times a week should be possible.
I agree its the parents job but not all parents are capable. If you are then awesome! More than anything its a culture that I want my kiddo to be around. The culture of having that burning desire to be the best and not liking it when she loses. I know that I can be an influence in that but I want her to be on a team that stresses the same type of attitude. I can't stand seeing a team that laughs and doesn't really care if they lose. I'm not sure what organization you are referring to but good luck to you guys!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying