Defense, can anybody play anywhere?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Everybody can sit on a chair and throw front toss or toss or roll GB and flyballs to their kids. With the amount of info out there nowadays parents should be able to educate themselves enough to help their kids if they are willing to learn. Yes I have a bit of an advantage since I played baseball in college but there are things I am still learning.

I never played organized baseball or softball at any point in my life. Everything I know about softball I learned because I was highly motivated to help my DD be as good as she wanted to be. I absolutely agree that (nearly) every parent can help their young player improve their skills, if they make the time to do it, and are willing to make the effort.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
All girls should learn how to catch a fly balls. Parents and coaches are doing a great disservice to players if they are not teaching OF to all their players. Pitchers too. If your DD loves the game and she is a pitcher dont limit her chances at playing HS or college by pigeon holing them into pitcher only. Hit them fly balls every week.

Yes! Catching fly balls, fielding grounders, making short throws and long throws, sliding... basic softball skills. EVERY player should be able to do these things at a reasonable skill level.

May 6, 2015
RAD, what can/should be done to make NPF more popular/successful/ profitable?

How can college ball popularity transfer over to make a viable NPF?

Can't NPF get some help from MLB? Like WNBA gets from NBA?
wont happen. WNBA is owned by NBA, and plays for the most part in NBA's off season (indoor sport, so time of year not really a factor). with BB and Sb being outdoor sports, at least for much of the country, needs to be spring/summer/fall. MLB is not going to support something that would compete with MLB.

May 27, 2013
Denise....definitely consider speed and agility training! My dd went from 3.0 down to 2.8 in 1 year just from speed and agility. She also was always the long, lanky kid at 10U - 14U and then grew into her body. No one ever assumed she had speed due to her long legs but once she stopped growing vertically and worked on developing her legs she became very quick.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Eric mentioned sliding. If you can't slide you shouldn't be playing fastpitch. Coaches, please bring out the cardboard and make sure everybody knows how to slide. Pet peeve of mine. Can't stand when a girl playing 12u travel ball can't slide or when she does it looks like she is going to get hurt.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Eric mentioned sliding. If you can't slide you shouldn't be playing fastpitch. Coaches, please bring out the cardboard and make sure everybody knows how to slide. Pet peeve of mine. Can't stand when a girl playing 12u travel ball can't slide or when she does it looks like she is going to get hurt.

Ellie, my 8 y/o, experienced her first tournament play this month. For whatever stupid-rear league politics/drama, her rec league had two 8U "all-star" teams. The practices and games were challenging, and pushed the girls to grow quickly.

Anyway, this is relating to sliding. The team never practiced it. I'm not sure why, as they spent 20 minutes a practice working on signs. But alas, second pool game and the team is already down 4-0 in the 1st. Ellie, who'd walked, was at third with the bases loaded and one out. Batter hits a tapper in front of home plate. The pitcher charges and Ellie breaks for home. She meets the pitcher about the same time the pitcher bends over to pick up the ball. Ellie takes a step towards the dugout to avoid the pitcher/tag, and in the next step slides fiercely in to home. And she looked good doing it! She beat the throw and the team went on to score eight more in the inning, which led to a win.

If she can slide, 12U travel girls have no excuses.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
Amen to this!! Every team my DD has been on consists of at least a couple girls that can’t side. Even at the A level. My DD has been sliding since early 10u. Since then she has learned different types of slides, but basic slide should be mandatory.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
Denise....definitely consider speed and agility training! My dd went from 3.0 down to 2.8 in 1 year just from speed and agility. She also was always the long, lanky kid at 10U - 14U and then grew into her body. No one ever assumed she had[/QUOTE]
Denise....definitely consider speed and agility training! My dd went from 3.0 down to 2.8 in 1 year just from speed and agility. She also was always the long, lanky kid at 10U - 14U and then grew into her body. No one ever assumed she had speed due to her long legs but once she stopped growing vertically and worked on developing her legs she became very quick.
Thank you. I’ve been trying to convince my husband of this. My DD has vertically challenged legs LOL. Poor girl has my height issues.

CoachMikeD

Teach First, Win Later!
Dec 29, 2018
Conover NC
Can anybody play anywhere?
Big question, perhaps with many answers.

At younger ages many coaches say "everyone should learn to play all positions"
Hmmmm? Is that accurate?

What physical/mental requirements does it take to play the different defensive positions?

When does physical limitations draw the line, or can all athletic requirements be taught and developed to fit any defensive position?

Being there are different levels of softball in all age groups and college.
How do these questions affect
an athletes goals?
Or do they? Should they?

"everyone should learn to play all positions" accurate?

Goals may play a factor ;)

Go Defense!
Go Feedback!
If I were coaching a middle school or younger rec ball team, I want each player to play at each position. As they get older and advance in skills, at some point they will sort of "mold" into a few positions. Even my high school teams, in some practices or scrimmages I might move players around. Not because they will play a certain position, but they will be better players if they understand what each position is responsible for and what it takes to play each position.

If they continue to love softball, (and I'm sure this could apply to some other sports as well) I believe it makes them more valuable as far as college recruiting goes. There may be a school they want to play for, and the coach may be interested, but lets say that player has usually been a shortstop, but the coach says I've already got my shortstop but I need a 2B, or maybe an OF, or whatever. Now that player can say "well, I only play SS" and lose that opportunity (which may or may not be their only opportunity at that moment), or they can choose to fit in where the coach wants them.

So Yes, I believe players should LEARN to play all positions. Their abilities, skills, and goals will tend to direct them to a couple positions as they mature.

Happy 2020.

Aug 14, 2019
sure, if they are good at everything on the Diamond. From a pure “kids should all play” perspective, you can do this. But if you care at all about winning, and don’t have excellent 1-12, I don’t see why you would even explore this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812