Pitcher Reps and Defense Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2021
So, first practice is in the books and I think it went fairly well. I'm working on practice plans for the upcoming practices, but I'm struggling to find ways to safely get the pitchers more reps with live batters. We only have one field and there isn't a batting cage with it. This is 12U, so pitching will be key and we have a few players who have never hit fastpitch before so they need the reps with a pitcher. How have the rest of you found a way to rotate this time into typical practices without the rest of the team standing around?

Second question, how do you teach defensive responsibilities without talking too much? I would like to use the Ball, Base, Backup mindset found here (http://www.baseballpositive.com/defensive-positional-responsibilities) unless there's better options. I want them to learn by doing, not by listening to me ramble through scenarios between reps. I can try to break it down into bite-sized drills, but the problem is, out of 14 players (yes I know that's too many, but it was either carry 14 or 2 girls didn't play this fall), I only have 4 that listed the outfield as one of the positions they want to learn and play, and only one of them was set on the outfield. The rest all want to play infield. That shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did.

The feedback everyone provided in my last post was excellent. I appreciated every bit of it. Now I'm just looking to learn and make iterative improvements where I can, not unlike what I'm asking them to do on the field!

May 6, 2015
what age group? what level

Triple B is a good start. lots of even older girls can forget the first one (our 1B did this spring several times)

if no one seems to want to play OF, have everyone do it. if you get groaning, play a scrimmage with no OF, show them how well that goes. Alternatively, during games, once you set your INF each inning defensively (and mmake certain it is not always same 5 girls), ASK who wants RF, who wants LF, who wants CF. they will soon learn if they do not want to play OF, it will increase their bench time. have OF be secondary position for everyone.

For fall, if you do not have clear cut #1s and 2s at each position, give say 3 girls at each position most of the practice reps and game time at a position for a 2 or 3 week period. then next 2 or 3 week period, have a different 2 or 3 girls at each position. you will start to see who has a feel for each position (do not worry about misplays a whole lot, concentrate on seeing if they are reacting properly to the play for the position)

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
With respect to live pitching, one thing we’ve done with success (assuming your pitchers can consistently throw strikes and/or hittable pitches) is to set your defense (9 players) and then have the remaining players go in and hit. Play each AB live. If you want to speed things up, you can start each hitter with a 1-1 count. Give each hitter two ABs and then switch your batters and your pitcher. Let’s you work on a number of things at once. We used to do this for the last 30-45 min of practice. With 14 players, 3 rotations of batters and everyone should get through. Might need a parent to play OF on the last rotation (or you could just have two OFers). The girls often enjoyed this part of practice the most because it was close to a game and they didn’t have to listen to the coaches babbling all the time (though we still babbled during the scrimmage to teach certain things defensively).

Oct 14, 2020
With respect to live pitching, one thing we’ve done with success (assuming your pitchers can consistently throw strikes and/or hittable pitches) is to set your defense (9 players) and then have the remaining players go in and hit. Play each AB live. If you want to speed things up, you can start each hitter with a 1-1 count. Give each hitter two ABs and then switch your batters and your pitcher. Let’s you work on a number of things at once. We used to do this for the last 30-45 min of practice. With 14 players, 3 rotations of batters and everyone should get through. Might need a parent to play OF on the last rotation (or you could just have two OFers). The girls often enjoyed this part of practice the most because it was close to a game and they didn’t have to listen to the coaches babbling all the time (though we still babbled during the scrimmage to teach certain things defensively).
We do this with 2 OF (or maybe 2 OF and a parent who can throw a little).

Suggestion would be to work hard with catchers here, this is game-type reps for them to work on blocking, picking, etc. Call pitches if you're doing that, off cards or with hand signals if you're doing that.

Jun 11, 2013
Unless you are prepping for PGF Nationals everyone should practice some at IF and OF at this age. They might not be good, but it's great come Sunday to be able to put your best 9 hitters in the lineup and not have to suffer much on Defense.

Jul 3, 2021
It's a 12U, rec level team. No tournaments or anything of that nature, just a fall league. I was trying to avoid spending too much practice time with everyone focused on live pitching/hitting because we just don't see a lot of contact. That's partly due to the pitching needing to be more consistent. So I don't want the fielders to not be engaged...but obviously games are going to be the same way. I'm just trying to come up with practice strategies to keep everyone engaged and having fun, while still providing quality reps and the ability to teach defensive responsibilities.

Everyone will definitely play outfield. My daughter actually likes right field, because oddly enough she enjoys backing up the throws to first.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

May 6, 2015
in that case, you or another coach should hit the balls to practice situational work for the team. and only do about 30 minutes max a practice.

spend the rest on small group drills stressing fundamentals (field Gb, throw to 1B; field pop fly, throw to 2B; OF field bouncer in grass, throws home; etc.). or on hitting (tee work, soft toss, machine work to get used to speed, etc.)

Nov 18, 2015
...I was trying to avoid spending too much practice time with everyone focused on live pitching/hitting because we just don't see a lot of contact. That's partly due to the pitching needing to be more consistent. ...
I agree with starting with a 1-1 count - or just allow 3 pitches per batter. If the batter walks, or doesn't make contact after 3 pitches, have a coach slightly off to the side, ready to fungo a ball to whomever looks asleep, hasn't touched a ball in a while, needs a confidence boost, etc. The batter can still run it out, and you can "spread the wealth" and create situations (such as a ball in the gap) that your hitters may not be able to.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
in that case, you or another coach should hit the balls to practice situational work for the team. and only do about 30 minutes max a practice.

spend the rest on small group drills stressing fundamentals (field Gb, throw to 1B; field pop fly, throw to 2B; OF field bouncer in grass, throws home; etc.). or on hitting (tee work, soft toss, machine work to get used to speed, etc.)
Another option would be to play live defense with a coach throwing front toss from behind a screen. The ball will definitely be in play, though will occasionally and annoyingly hit the screen. We'd just call those foul and throw the next pitch.

Agree that the scrimmage-like practice isn't real productive if your pitchers can't consistently throw strikes. That said, there is probably some value in putting them in those situations to see if they can. Will be the closest to a game situation that they will get until the game itself.

Jun 26, 2019
One thing I have done at times for faster defense reps is call where the ball goes, just say go to second or go to first and have them hit off a tee with the pitcher pretending to pitch and have them bunt off the tee occasionally to keep pitchers and catchers involved. Its not perfect but it can be done with high reps and it also gets them hitting off a tee, which I believe is good for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00